How can I import Venue addresses via ICAL importer?

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events How can I import Venue addresses via ICAL importer?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Oystein
    Participant

I’m using the ICAL importer connected to a Google Calendar.
    When importing events, the Google Calendar Event Address ends up as Events Calendar Venue name, and in some cases the latitude and longtude is saved on the Venue.
    But the the Events Calendar Venue information (address) remains empty.

Is there a way to get the Venue address information filled out based upon the information in the ICAL stream?

Please advice

In Google Calendar the event looks like this:

In the Events Calendar the same event looks like this:

• This topic was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Oystein. Reason: Image url
    Nico

Howdy Oystein,

Welcome to our support forums and thanks for reaching out to us! Interesting questions here…

We visited the issue for a while when we first built the plugin. Fundamentally, we have nothing to go on to get the address from the location in a stable manner. It comes in as one long line with not consistent indicators of what may be a name and what may be an address. We found that attempting to pull and address actually introduced more instability than the good it did. So we eventually decided our best bet was to use the location as the venue name and allow the users to edit or add an address.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with,
    Best,
    Nico

Oystein
    Participant

In most cases, your app seems to be able to determine the exact location (long + lat) based upon the location info in the imported ICAL.
    That means that for those particular venues you know the exact coordinates.
    From this information, it is possible to do a reversed geocode lookup and find the address: Street, number, city, zip and country.
    http://www.latlong.net/Show-Latitude-Longitude.html
    Example:

If you managed to implement this in the future, it would save much work filling in venue adresses on imported venues.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Oystein. Reason: adding example
    Nico

Hey Oystein,

Thanks for following-up! That’s an interesting and valid point you are making I’ll make sure to ticket this idea and share it with the dev team. Sounds like an interesting approach, which I suspect might have been explored in the past but couldn’t find any reference of it in our backlog!

I’ll go ahead and close out this thread, but if you need help with anything else please don’t hesitate to create a new one and we will be happy to assist you.

Thanks once again for the smart suggestion,
    Best,
    Nico

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘How can I import Venue addresses via ICAL importer?’ is closed to new replies.