Hogging Resource limits

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Hogging Resource limits

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lynn1jenni1
    Participant

What can I do to reduce the resource limits the plugin consumes? I started using it about a week ago and only have 2 events and 2 venues listed so far and it nearly doubled my resources from 512 to 1gb, with some fluctuation. Please advise as it’s consuming about 4 times more than the next biggest plugin I’m using and that being Jetpack.

Had I known I would not have paid the pro version.

Barry

Hi lynn1jenni1,

That does seem like rather a lot of memory and would certainly exceed what’s actually available in some environments – I’m surprised your memory_limit setting isn’t prohibiting this from happening.

• Can you confirm how you arrived at those figures?
    • What is your PHP memory_limit (you may need to get this information from your hosting provider if you are unsure)?
    • What operations seem to trigger this very high usage – ie, is it only on certain views?
    • How many events exist in your database (and what sort of time range are they taking place over – for instance, 2,000 events all taking place in the same month might make for a meaty set of queries in month view)

Any further insights you can provide would be appreciated.

lynn1jenni1
    Participant

I was hitting limits and ran the P3 plugin to figure out where the issue was coming from as I never had these type of warnings in the past. My resource limits for physical memory are 2048MB and are being pushed to the max as well as CPU usage. We only have 2 events and 2 locations in the database currently which worries me as I have many I want to add and even more over the long run.

I am unsure what exactly is triggering or how to test to figure out if it’s view or access related.

Barry

OK. Honestly, I find it hard to believe this is truly a result of our plugins – especially if all you have is 2 events and 2 venues – but we’re definitely open to exploring this in more depth.

My resource limits for physical memory are 2048MB and are being pushed to the max as well as CPU usage.

So that sounds like the total amount of memory available to your server. That is quite different from the PHP memory_limit, though, which is a setting that can be used to help cap the amount of memory consumed in each request and typically would be far lower.

Can you confirm/ask your host if you are unsure?

YES, I’ve deactivated all other plugins to check for a plugin conflict.
    YES, I’ve reverted to the 2011 default WordPress theme (with other plugins still deactivated) to check for a theme conflict.

You noted running through the above steps and we appreciate you taking the time to do that. Just for the avoidance of any doubt, though, can you confirm you still hit these problems with nothing else activated?

It just seems really quite odd that you’d hit such extreme problems with so few events, when we know from experience plenty of users have far more events and are successfully running their sites on even quite modest hosting packages (not to dismiss your findings by any means – but just to highlight that this is sounding pretty atypical).

lynn1jenni1
    Participant

My php.ini file doesn’t have a limit set. Is there a default it reverts to if nothing is set?

Yes, when everything was deactivated it didn’t hit limits (as the theme uses some and a few other plugins use some memory) but did still consume a lot according to the resource stats from the hosting tools. When the plugin is deactivated the physical memory usage drops to below 400mb.

Barry

Yes – there’s a default which varies according to the version of PHP that is installed. If you’ve got a fairly up-to-date version of PHP that default would typically be 128M.

Can I ask who your host is and what sort of traffic your site is receiving? Are you using a VPS or can you point me to a page detailing the sort of hosting package you have in place?

…but did still consume a lot according to the resource stats from the hosting tools.

So what is the baseline usage with just WordPress and a default theme with no plugins running as compared to just The Events Calendar running? Am I correct in thinking this is a measurement of peak usage within a certain timeframe?

Barry

Hi! It’s been a while so I’m going to go ahead and close this thread. If we can help with anything else, though, please don’t hesitate to create new threads as needed. Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Hogging Resource limits’ is closed to new replies.