Hijacking Tags Search

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Hijacking Tags Search

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Geoff

Hi Preston, awesome job so far!

OK, so we know that things are good on a blank slate in default conditions–that’s good.

Try installing and activating your theme to the clean slate. Let’s see if that introduces the issues that you’ve pointed out here. If the issues are still gone, please stop there and let me see it again before installing or testing anything else. 🙂

Cheers!
    Geoff

Geoff

Hey there, Preston! We typically close threads after they’ve been inactive for a couple of weeks, but I wanted to check back in with you real quick to see if there was any update while testing–please let me know. 🙂

Cheers!
    Geoff

Ryan
    Participant

I’m sorry, I haven’t had time to troubleshoot this on the fresh install. Unfortunately on the live site, the problem still hasn’t been resolved.

I hope to get back to troubleshooting this within the next couple days. Thank you for checking in!

Geoff

Sure thing! Please keep me posted. 🙂

Ryan
    Participant

OK. I’ve completed the next step of installing the theme onto the test install. I added the tag cloud to the footer area to test it. It does seem to still be working (searching both events and posts). In the live site, the problem is occurring with the special post type of “portfolios”. Since the portfolios don’t have a tagging available on them within this theme, I used a plugin to add them to the portfolio post type. Perhaps this is the next thing to test?

The test area url has changed slightly: http://www.beta.ncsml.org/test

Geoff

Good call! I do think that would be the next plugin to install and activate. Let’s see how that impact things.

Geoff

Ryan
    Participant

Alright I think we may be getting to the bottom of this!

I just added the “Add Tags” plugin and now the tag cloud results are only being pulled from the events and regular posts. I added 3 tags to a single test portfolio post and it doesn’t show up in the results for any of them.

So from here do I just need to try and find a different plugin that can add the tags to the portfolio post or is there a better way to solve this?

Geoff

Nice work! Pinpointing the conflict was a task, but I agree that could be the culprit.

Another plugin might do the trick. I’m not sure how the Portfolio post type is set up, but if you registered it yourself, you can also enable tags for it–here’s a nice example from the WordPress forums.

Geoff

Ryan
    Participant

I’m not sure how the Portfolio post type was set up either, it was a custom post type that came with the theme. I believe I found the code for it in the functions.php. I wasn’t able to find another plugin that would allow the tags to be added to the portfolios so I read through the link you shared (thanks!) and I found where the portfolio post type is being created in the functions.php. However, I have tried placing the code from that post in several areas within this code and haven’t had any luck with it adding a “tags” section to the portfolios. Could you give me some advice on where it needs to go? I know that this doesn’t have anything to do with the Events plugin at this point, but I really appreciate your help.

Portfolio code in the functions.php:

/* Create Portfolio post type */

if (!function_exists('create_post_type')) {
    function create_post_type() {
    	register_post_type( 'portfolio_page',
    		array(
    			'labels' => array(
    				'name' => __( 'Portfolio','qode' ),
    				'singular_name' => __( 'Portfolio Item','qode' ),
    				'add_item' => __('New Portfolio Item','qode'),
                    'add_new_item' => __('Add New Portfolio Item','qode'),
                    'edit_item' => __('Edit Portfolio Item','qode')
    			),
    			'public' => true,
    			'has_archive' => true,
    			'rewrite' => array('slug' => 'portfolio_page'),
    			'menu_position' => 4,
    			'show_ui' => true,
                'supports' => array('author', 'title', 'editor', 'thumbnail', 'excerpt', 'page-attributes')
    		)
    	);

flush_rewrite_rules();
    }
    }
    add_action( 'init', 'create_post_type' );

/* Create Portfolio Categories */

add_action( 'init', 'create_portfolio_taxonomies', 0 );
    if (!function_exists('create_portfolio_taxonomies')) {
    function create_portfolio_taxonomies() 
    {
       $labels = array(
        'name' => __( 'Portfolio Categories', 'taxonomy general name' ),
        'singular_name' => __( 'Portfolio Category', 'taxonomy singular name' ),
        'search_items' =>  __( 'Search Portfolio Categories','qode' ),
        'all_items' => __( 'All Portfolio Categories','qode' ),
        'parent_item' => __( 'Parent Portfolio Category','qode' ),
        'parent_item_colon' => __( 'Parent Portfolio Category:','qode' ),
        'edit_item' => __( 'Edit Portfolio Category','qode' ), 
        'update_item' => __( 'Update Portfolio Category','qode' ),
        'add_new_item' => __( 'Add New Portfolio Category','qode' ),
        'new_item_name' => __( 'New Portfolio Category Name','qode' ),
        'menu_name' => __( 'Portfolio Categories','qode' ),
      );     

register_taxonomy('portfolio_category',array('portfolio_page'), array(
        'hierarchical' => true,
        'labels' => $labels,
        'show_ui' => true,
        'query_var' => true,
        'rewrite' => array( 'slug' => 'portfolio-category' ),
      ));

}
    }
    Geoff

Hi Preston!

Aha, I think we have it narrowed down pretty well. I bet you could get this working well if you register your own custom post type with tags enabled. In this case, it seems like the theme author will be the best one to help enable that here.

Let me know if that’s not the case for some reason and I’d still be happy to help as best I can from this end.

Cheers!
    Geoff

Geoff

Hi Preston! It’s been pretty quiet in here for more than a couple of weeks, so I’m going to go ahead and close this thread. Feel free to start a new thread (and reference this one) if you still have any questions here and we’d be happy to help as best we can. 🙂

Cheers!
    Geoff

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The topic ‘Hijacking Tags Search’ is closed to new replies.