Hard-to-find Event Details

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Hard-to-find Event Details

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    literarychicago
    Participant

In order for my readers to see the description of each event that I have painstakingly entered into the body of the event post, they must click on the title of the event, then click on Google Calendar. Not an easy way to browse many events. And what about my readers who don’t have Google accounts? How can I make it so that event details appear when you hover over a title in the monthly view? And then appear again when you like what you see as you hovered and you click the title? This is how I had it with a free plugin (CalPress) and I imagined this premium one would be even better. When I’m adding an event, why do I get a message that asks me if I’m “looking for additional functionality” and “new views” and telling me to check out new add-ons when I’ve already upgraded to PRO? Also, I imagined that “premium support” meant I could speak to a technician in real time either by phone or online chat. This is very disappointing.

Casey D

Hello literarychicago,

Thanks for upgrading and sorry for the disappointment so far! We have so many active and happy users and I’d love to make you one of them! 🙂

I think there might be something wrong with your current site implementation, because what you describe is exactly how our plugin functions!

On our demo site, you can see that the hover tooltips are full of information in Month view. http://wpshindig.com/events/

In the default List view, the information is readily available for reading and scanning, without clicking into event at all! http://wpshindig.com/events/upcoming/

Your users shouldn’t have to click ‘Google Calendar’ to see the info on and single event, that information should be front and center. (right above the Google Calendar button) http://wpshindig.com/event/wordpress-santa-cruz-meetup/2014-06-18/

We have so many requests for additional functionality, we find that a one line text statement helps a lot of users discover additional features they wanted but weren’t sure how to implement. Tickets and community submitted events are to major examples of that.

Lastly, on our products and FAQ page we do our best to manage our customers expectations! We try to be very clear that all of our support is through the forums. We’d love your feedback on how to word this better so there is less confusion in the future.

Does this make sense? Let me know if I can explain anything else!

Cheers!

– Casey Driscoll

literarychicago
    Participant

I’m glad to hear hovering info is possible, but how do I make it happen? How do I fix my “current site implementation”? The hover box that appears only displays the event title, day, and time — no description. 🙁

literarychicago
    Participant

I did spend hours last night looking through all the support documentation. Got nowhere with my hover problem. Figured out category colors, though. That’s nice.

Casey D

Hello literarychicago,

It would be much easier to help if I could see the problem, do you have a public link I can see?

From what I can tell, it should be super easy to add event info, and it should go directly into the hover tooltip.

2014-05-29 at 6.09 PM

2014-05-29 at 6.10 PM

Does this make sense? Let me know if this doesn’t work for you.

Cheers!

– Casey Driscoll

literarychicago
    Participant

I enter all the info like you did, where the read arrow is pointing. But it doesn’t show up on the calendar page. All I see is the first two lines in the hover box — the title and the date/time. Can’t make the page public until the relaunch date, which is Monday, June 2nd, and I’m really worried that the calendar isn’t functioning right because it’s a big draw for potential visitors. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

literarychicago
    Participant

BTW, both Events Calendar and Events Calendar PRO have been updated to 3.6, but still no luck…

Casey D

Unfortunately, without a public link I won’t be able to troubleshoot very effectively. 🙁

Maybe if you took a few screenshots of your process, I could see the issue better? Here are some excellent tools for uploading some screenshots!

Before submitting a support post, we ask users to deactivate all plugins and change to a theme like Twentytwelve, as a proven way to check for conflicts.

Ideally, they will do this on a local, development, or staging environment. It’s possibly a little tedious, but it is the surest and most efficient way to get to the root of a complicated issue. We know this after years of combined experience troubleshooting technological problems of all shapes and sizes.

If the issue still occurs on a normalized system, there is more than likely a problem with our plugin (a bug).

If the issue goes away on a normalized system, there is more than likely conflict with another plugin or theme that is not ours.

This is an integral part of our troubleshooting process. By reactivating plugins one at a time, checking the problem with each activation, you can immediately find out where the conflict is. Otherwise, it is a difficult (impossible) guessing game.

checkforpluginconflict

Can you please deactivate your plugins and theme, to confirm the problem goes away? Please reactivate each piece, until the problem comes back. Please let us know which plugin causes the problem.

Cheers!

– Casey Driscoll

literarychicago
    Participant

Wait. You want me to upload screenshots of my behind-the-scenes process to my website? For my readers to see?

literarychicago
    Participant

I switched to the Twenty Twelve theme and the problem was fixed. So there’s a conflict with your calendar and the Wu Wei theme. How do we fix the conflict? I uploaded images as per your instructions, which I figured out, and they can be viewed here: http://literarychicago.imgur.com/all/ (But they just confirm what I’m saying in this message, that it’s the theme.)

literarychicago
    Participant

So I found another to theme to use and now I have event details in my hovers. BUT they are center-aligned, even when I specifically select left-aligned in my editor. How can I fix this? And thank you for helping me make progress, although I really hated to let go of the previous theme.

Casey D

Hello literarychicago,

Thanks for your cooperation! I’m sorry you had to change themes too. Wu Wei seemed popular at one time, but it hasn’t been updated in two years. A lot has changed in the WordPress world since then; you likely would have found other conflicts along the way.

The editor doesn’t control the tooltip formatting, but the text should still be left aligned. This is how it looks on my site.

2014-06-02 at 9.44 AM

From what I can tell from your screenshots, your tooltips are left aligned as well. Can you upload another or point out where I am mistaken?

2014-06-02 at 9.46 AM

Thanks!

– Casey Driscoll

literarychicago
    Participant

My site is up now, so you can see for yourself that everything hovering is centered. People love the calendar, but a few have said the centering thing looks “sloppy” or “glitchy” or “unattractive.” http://www.literarychicago.com

Casey D

Hello literarychicago,

Thanks for the update. It looks like your theme or override is causing most of the styling, including the colors and alignment.

Unfortunately that level of customization typically goes beyond the scope of the forums. It seems small enough that I can help change it this once.

Here is some code that should make your tooltips left aligned.

.tribe-events-tooltip p.entry-summary.description { text-align: left;}

A plugin like http://wordpress.org/plugins/simple-custom-css/ will help you add css to your site.

Does this make sense? Let me know if this doesn’t work for you.

Cheers!

– Casey Driscoll

literarychicago
    Participant

Where would I enter this line of code? When I make changes (which have all been super minor), I use the Firefox Firebug to figure out where in the editor I need to go. But the Firebug doesn’t pick up hovering items, or if it does, I don’t know how to make it do this. Thanks, btw, for sticking by me through this! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Hard-to-find Event Details’ is closed to new replies.