Google Structured Data – many error messages

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Google Structured Data – many error messages

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Uwe Matern
    Participant

Good Day from Hamburg,

we use all the PRO-plugins. and track the progress of the google crawling and indexing by using the google search analysis (former google webmaster tool). So, the progress is quite well, but we get a lot of error messages concerning structured data element (type event). Mainly the data types: hcard, hentry and hcalendar. Pls see also the attached screenshot.

Do you have any idea what happens here?

Best regards
    Uwe

• This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Uwe Matern. Reason: Spelling
    • This topic was modified 7 years ago by Andras.
    Andras
    Keymaster

Grüss dich

I think you are getting the errors because microformats is not fully implemented in our plugins. Give me some time to check this with the team to get confirmation.

Thanks,

Andras

Andras
    Keymaster

So, this is what I managed to collect:

We basically removed support for microformats. However, it’s a system that’s driven by CSS classes and some of those are in active use for styling purposes – by us, by themers or by both: that so say, it’s quite possible the vestiges of microformat support are creating noise.

Also, what you can try is take the URL of a single event and run it through this:

https://developers.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool/

Check if that gives you any errors.

Let me know what you get.

Andras

Uwe Matern
    Participant

Hi Andras,

thanks for your reply and the first hints regarding this topic. I just testes one event in the google structured data checker and you find the result as screenshot. It basically says that mandatory fields as “dtart” and “location” have no value.

I tested the tool with the URL: https://finde-deinen-malkurs.de/kurs/berlin-emmanuel-murzeau-zeichnen-aber-richtig-zeichnen/2017-11-28/ which is an event from a recurring event.

Would be great to get more insight in this topic. Hopefully those errors are not considered from Google for ranking and lead to a bad position in SERP…

Best regards
    Uwe

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Uwe,

This is interesting, I don’t know why you are getting those errors, because it seems you do have that data.

At the moment all I can think of that the theme is messing with our heads. This is easy to find out, switch to twentysixteen and run the test again. Check if you still see the errors.

Please check that if you can. Meanwhile I’ll check if anybody on the team has a better idea.

Cheers,
    Andras

Uwe Matern
    Participant

Good Morning Andras,

are there any news in this matter? From your colleagues or so?

Best regards
    Uwe

Andras
    Keymaster

Hallo Uwe,

We had some discussions and ran some test on my local site with twentyfifteen and the Divi themes.

The “startDate” data is properly generated for me for a random event and it is defined in the <head> of the page like this:

<script type="application/ld+json">
    [{"@context":"http://schema.org","@type":"Event","name":"Check the order","description":"<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nam in tincidunt erat, vel pretium dolor. Praesent condimentum sapien quis justo vestibulum ultricies. Aenean vehicula justo pharetra, porta mi vel, pretium sem. Etiam tincidunt, ipsum vel luctus facilisis, neque urna tristique purus, et vehicula tortor ipsum vel dolor. Etiam mollis turpis nibh, nec sodales risus eleifend &hellip; <a href=&quot;http://tec.andrasguseo.com/event/check-the-order/2017-04-11/&quot; class=&quot;more-link&quot;>Continue reading <span class=&quot;screen-reader-text&quot;>Check the order</span></a></p>\\n","image":"http://tec.andrasguseo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/facebook_event_630850153762887.jpg","url":"http://tec.andrasguseo.com/event/check-the-order/2017-04-11/","startDate":"2017-04-11T14:00:00+00:00","endDate":"2017-04-11T17:00:00+00:00"}]
    </script></head>

I also see that for your page, so that data is fine there.

The difference I found between twentyfifteen and your theme is how the event is wrapped.

Twentyfifteen does this:

<article id="post-0" class="post-0 page type-page status-draft hentry">
    [...]
    <div id="tribe-events-content" class="tribe-events-single">

While your theme does it like this:

<div id="tribe-events-content" class="tribe-events-single vevent hentry">

So that could possible be a cause.

Did you manage to test it with a default theme?

Andras

Uwe Matern
    Participant

Hi Andras,

thanks again for your answer and your investigation. No, I was not able to test it with a another theme (because we are in production now with increasing traffic) ans unfortunately we do not have (yet) a development and test environment …

As Theme we use Avada one of the leading and most sold themes globally. And they claim also a special support for the events calendar. So, it was actually the reason that we choose your plugin as the main functional plugin for our page.

And, if Avada supports the events calendar it should also manage the structured data right. I’m somehow lost …

Best regards
    Uwe

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Uwe,

Both structured data comes together from different parts. One is the code created by the plugin (like the <script> with schema.org specs in the head) and the other is the structure of a page boiling down to HTML.

From our side we try to make our plugins as universal as possible, so it works well with most any theme out there. This is quite  difficult task as you can imagine, as there are a lot of themes out there. What we definitely try to make sure is that we fully support the default themes like twentysixteen and that we follow WordPress Coding standards.

As for some themes, they take different approaches and use different conventions. For example some of them are fully following HTML5 specs, some of them only loosely. And this can result in different level of support for structured data.

Avada is a great theme and the developers are doing a great job in keeping it updated. But I understand that it’s difficult to keep up with all the bits and pieces. I would recommend getting in touch with them with this glitch and see if they can adjust their code / html markup in a way that structured data show up as intended.

I hope this helps, and as always, if you have more questions regarding this topic, I’m happy to help you out.

Cheers,
    Andras

Uwe Matern
    Participant

Hi Andras,

thanks for your answer. I opened a ticket at Avada accordingly and they replied already. I will follow the one or other tipp they gave. Basically they said the same, is a mixture of TEC and Avada sourced for those structured data.

But we want to tackle this topic up to the latest detail – target no errors and warnings from Google anymore!
    Therefore I have one concrete example where warnings are created.

The link: https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool/u/0/?url=https://finde-deinen-malkurs.de/kursanbieter/kunstakademie-allgaeu/#url=https%3A%2F%2Ffinde-deinen-malkurs.de%2Fkursanbieter%2Fkunstakademie-allgaeu%2F

should show you the details. It’s one of our organizer with their organizer page and related events. The warnings in this case are all from the area of tickets? – right. Thus I assume this one could be solved with the help of your team.

Thanks again for your support.

Best Regards Uwe

Uwe Matern
    Participant

Hello Andras,

one additional input. Here is the comment from the Avada guy:

Hello Uwe

Thanks for getting in touch with us. My name is Rodrigo and I’ll be your assigned support rep.

So, do you experience this issue with the HTML markup of your events? In that case, this code will be generated by both Avada and the plugin, since the display of your events is a result of the combination of both.

In your screenshots, I cannot see the specific elements that cause the problem, since the notices are rather general.

Anyway, the code that generates your Events single page is located in the file “tribe-events/single-event.php”, inside the theme folder. You can check out the markup generated there, and apply the necessary changes, as indicated by Google, so the structure of the code suits your needs.

Thank you

I checked this (single-event.php). But I cannot really detect where the “markups are set” in this code …

Maybe you can help again.

Best Regards
    Uwe

Andras
    Keymaster

Hallo Uwe,

Let me answer to your earlier post first.

I check the google tool and see these warnings: https://cloudup.com/cnROIUDefgr

All these are only warnings and not errors and they are recommended, but not obligatory.

These fields seem to be:

avalibilityStarts -> not sure what this should be. (The ticket selling date goes to validFrom.)

inventoryLevel -> there might be an issue here as my test stock doesn’t show up

priceCurrency -> I tested this, I’m not sure why this is not appearing.

url -> Not sure either why you have this empty, in my test this shows the url of the page of the event

description -> again, not sure, this is the description of the event

eventStatus -> I’m not sure we are providing this value at the moment

So as a conclusion:

• there seems to be an issue with inventoryLevel and priceCurrency. I will open a ticket for this so it can get fixed in the future.
    • availibilityStarts and eventStatus: not sure what these should be / we don’t provide or generate that info.
    • url and description works for me as expected. Best would be if you could test it with a different theme, likely twetwentysixteen or twentyseventeen

Your second post:

I have an older version of Avada on hand. There in the single-events.php file for example line 24 is this:

<div id="tribe-events-content" class="tribe-events-single vevent hentry">

This could be one, or you could add another <article> container element outside the div and adjust the classes.

Does this help?

Andras

Uwe Matern
    Participant

This reply is private.

Andras
    Keymaster

This reply is private.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Google Structured Data – many error messages’ is closed to new replies.