Google Maps not working

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Google Maps not working

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    charlestupman
    Participant

I have Events calender with WooTickets, Everything seems to be working except none of the events are showing up with Google Maps.
    URL for an event:
    http://linsrv103.linuxcontrolpanel.co.uk/~potent/potenttest/events/upcoming/#/~potent/potenttest/event/christmas-party/

I have made sure the “show google maps” and “enable google maps” settings are both checked.

Joshua
    Participant

I am having the same issue. A couple of days ago the maps appeared to show up fine in all browsers. Now the maps won’t show up in Chrome or Firefox. They do appear to show up in IE and Safari though.

Kelly
    Participant

Hi, Charles. Thanks for getting in touch with us about your issue.

Have you had a chance to test on the Twenty Twelve theme with other plugins disabled? On our test bed, a map will show up for the post code you have as your test venue (WC1E 7HU), so I’m thinking it may be an integration problem between TEC and your theme.

Let me know what happens when you try it out, and we’ll take it from there.

Joshua
    Participant

Here’s a strange thing:

I am building on RootsTheme (Bootstrap) and disabled all other plugins besides the WooCommerce, Events Calendar, & WooTickets… the problem still exists under a secure connected website.

If I “force secure checkout” within WooCommerce it fixes the problem but I also have to check “un-force HTTPS when leaving checkout” to make it work. When I choose “un-force” it won’t let me access my homepage though.

Another issue I am having is when using bootstrap tabs. I have a tab for description, a tab for map, and a tab for discussion. When placing the map inside a tab, I get the following results: the map is displayed weird.

http://s13.postimg.org/3m1qnriev/hsp.jpg

Joshua
    Participant

By installed “WordPress HTTPS” and disabling the WooCommerce “force SSL”, it appears it allows for me to secure the whole site and have the maps show up as they should…. however, the maps are still displaying weird in any other bootstrap tab besides the “active” tab.

If I place the embed code from a Google map, it displays full width properly but not from Events Calendar.

charlestupman
    Participant

My theme is definitely an issue, I think that because the pages are loaded with AJAX they don’t pull in the scripts that load the map (or the proper styling). If I load the page with a relative URL this doesn’t happen, would it be possible to change the code for links in views/singleevent.php and list.php to pull in relative links instead of absolute ones that load with AJAX. I am so so with php so i’m finding it hard to reach this solution on my own. I basically need new PHP code for any links to events (including next and previous links within the project pages)

Rob

Hey folks. Thanks for the follow-ups here. This is a bit outside both Kelly and my areas of expertise, but I’ve got Samuel – our resident AJAX master – taking a look here to see if the idea put forth by charles in his last comment could indeed be the source, and whether there’s anything we could do on our end to optimize.

No guarantees but we’ll see what we can get you here, in as timely a fashion as possible. Thanks for your patience so far and in the interim.

Rob

Hey again charlestupman. So I had our developer take a look here and he was able to confirm that there is indeed something specific to your theme that doesn’t appear to be playing well with The Events Calendar (or some of Woo’s functionality, from the looks of things). This does largely seem to be due to the fact that the theme relies heavily on AJAX.

We’re happy to help you out best we can, but honestly this does sound like it may be more a byproduct of the theme (and thus something the theme’s devs might be best suited to address). Have you posed the question to them of how users should approach other plugins that rely on AJAX? I suspect you aren’t the first user to encounter this problem…

Let me know your thoughts. Sorry I couldn’t offer anything more substantive at the moment.

charlestupman
    Participant

Hi Rob, thanks for the quick response. My theme developer is not being very helpful. Is there any way that I can get the code to pull relative URLs instead of absolute ones for these links. There are only 4 links I need updating (The title link, the “find out more” link on the events list page and the “next event” and “previous event” links on the Event page itself. I would really appreciate the help as I am so close to completing this theme.

charlestupman
    Participant

I think all you would need to do is alter the “Single Event Link” function in link.php:

/**
    * Single Event Link
    * Get link to a single event
    * @param int $event Optional post ID
    * @return string
    * @since 2.0
    */
    function tribe_get_event_link($event = null) {
    if ( ” == get_option(‘permalink_structure’) ) {
    return apply_filters( ‘tribe_get_event_link’, TribeEvents::instance()->getLink(‘single’, $event), $event );
    } else {
    return trailingslashit( apply_filters( ‘tribe_get_event_link’, TribeEvents::instance()->getLink(‘single’, $event), $event ) );
    }
    }

Rob

Thanks for the follow-up here, Charles. Going to have Sam (the dev who checked it previously) see what he can do to point you in the right direction here. This as it stands is sadly outside my area of expertise. But as soon as he has a chance to take a look we’ll be back in touch. Should be real soon and we appreciate your patience in the interim.

Samuel

Hey charlestupman! Sam here. OK, i went ahead and investigated your site again, then got a copy of the theme and tested in my local. The issue here is a flaw with the themes ajax. It is not loading the required maps script, among other things events needs. The best solution if you are dead set on this theme is that we somehow exclude tribe pages from the themes ajax process.

I have accomplished this in my local with this theme, but we have to hack a theme file, which is not ideal, but the best I can do for you (the author did not bake in a exclusion mechanism).

In the theme folder find the file ajax.js inside the js folder. at the very top is were the handler is bound that triggers the themes ajax. Lets modify the listener to exclude tribe links as a whole.

Change

$(‘body’).on(“click”,”a[href^=”+siteUrl+”]”, function() {

to

$(‘body’).on(“click”,”a[href^=”+siteUrl+”]:not(#tribe-events a)”, function() {

Note the :not(#tribe-events a) telling the handler to ignore out links. If you cant do the edit yourself let me know and I can supply the modified file. Remember, on theme updates you will need to reapply the patch. Or you could petition the theme author to add an exclusion mechanism.

Cheers!

sam

Samuel

actually, copy from this gist so no text \encoding issues arise. 🙂 or let me know you need the file. 😉

https://gist.github.com/faction23/368429cfd201e309e653

charlestupman
    Participant

Hi Samual, thank you for the quick response. Unfortunately I am 100% committed to this theme. Normally I would test it before building but the client only decided they wanted the eCommerce features after green lighting the design. This solutions works fine, thank you for taking the time to address this problem, I know it is pretty unique and a lot of developers don’t provide this level of support so I really appreciate it. I will be using your products indefinitely. I just had one more thing, I have been in touch with the theme developer who said “If your plugin depends on JS code, you’ll need to run it in the callback of the theme’s content loading function (js/ajax.js, between lines 125-136)”. If I could I would really like to have The Events Calendar running within the theme’s framework so if you could let me know what js I need to run to have this work properly (and possibly the code to do so as I am unfamiliar with javascript) Then I would be forever grateful to you.

Thanks again for the quick response.

Samuel

Hey charlestupman. OK, this is doable, but a reasonably complex task. To mix our ajax with their system as they wrote it would require much more than just reloading the scripts in that function. We utilize the preferred approach in wordpress for ajax and use the built in wordpress handler for our operations. We also use our own lightweight history management javascript that does not utilize the phasing out hashchange events as this script does.

This means there is multiple incongruity that would require good chunks of custom code.

I do apologize but this level of code customization would be outside the scope of support, I hope you can understand. Let me know if there is anything I can help with, or if you wish to attempt it, i can definitely answer questions you may have along the way.

All my best

sam

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Google Maps not working’ is closed to new replies.