Google Insights / Above the Fold JS driving me crazy

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Google Insights / Above the Fold JS driving me crazy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Saif
    Participant

Trying to get a better Google Insights score, I’m working on my above the fold JS. Everything that I’ve tried – ends up breaking something.

The widget is usually the first to go – if you check out http://www.okgamers.com – I’m still screwing up the calendar graphic / css / something. The numbers on the day aren’t styled, and worse, the calendar won’t mouse over, or advance months sometimes.

Now, I’m finding I’ve destroyed the event submissions – again.

HELP.

What do I use that will be friendly with your plugins / or what should I be excluding to not have these issues happen?

I’ve been using WP Fastest Cache and Autoptimize – but every time I try and optimize the Javascript, something goes batty.

#halp

Trisha

Hello, Saif!!

I’ve got you covered 🙂

Give me a few minutes to gather up what you need I’ll reply back here with some awesome solutions!

Cheers,
    Trisha (yeah, it’s me!)

Saif
    Participant

Sweet, looking forwards to it!

Trisha

Saif,

When I look at Okgamers.com everything seems to be ok, were you able to fix it?

We had a customer recently who had some success with WP Rocket. Initially, he was having some of the same issues you were but after we chatted he went back in changed the configuration and said he was able to make it work…that’s one option.

Another option is this extension: https://theeventscalendar.com/extensions/dequeue-assets/. It will let you dequeue the js files and then you can enqueue them in the footer.

You mentioned having a staging site set up at one time, do you still have that available?

I’m going to set up a local instance and see if I can work through some of this with you so bear with me as I get that started. I’m sure there are others interested in how to do this!

Also, check out alchemistmedia.com, it had a page speed score of 98 or 99 last time I checked. We had it at 100 at one point but had to compromise for google analytics. I’ll see if I can remember what plugins I used on that one. Granted it’s not using The Events Calendar but we’ll get there!

Hang in there!

Cheers,
    Trisha

Saif
    Participant

I may try out WP Rocket then, once you’ve have worked through your end then!

At first I was trying to stick to free options like I’ve mentioned, but. I’ve sunk SO many hours into this, a $40 plugin, if it’ll just work, is worth the investment.

OKg.com – No, I’ve disabled the Javascript optimization, and taken a 10 to 20 point drop in Insights score as a result :/ Better to have a working site than a higher score heh.

I do have a test site, and have set up a vanilla install of Autoptimize:
    http://box.okgamers.com/

I’ve enabled the ‘optimize HTML’, and ‘optimize JS’; there I’ve only turned on:
    Force JS
    Exclude (default js there only)
    Add wrapping

As you can see, the widget on the front page is destroyed, lol.
    The white boxes for the day / date are gone.
    The on mouse over doesn’t work for the calendar dates.
    The advancing / going back a month and other features don’t work.

WORSE: if you go to submissions:
    http://box.okgamers.com/events/submissions/add

Various things don’t work. Can’t upload an image.
    ALL of the “saved venues” – gone / not available to use…
    Same for Organizers, but maybe you can add one?
    etc, etc

(fair warning, the navigation on box.okg will send you back to okg – gotta readd box. heh)

I’m not sure if WP Rocket works that way, but if you could just provide a list of .js files to exclude and .css files for the CSS version, I’m sure things would work out better? I’ve tried to identify them but seemingly failed :/

Trisha

Hi, Saif!

I made some good progress today! I dequeued several scripts and re-enqueued them properly. I’m still hunting down a few…I’ll keep you posted!

Cheers,
    Trisha

Barry

Hi Saif,

I’m sorry for the long delay, here!

Unfortunately we’re not able to take this one any further, I’m afraid — this is certainly custom development territory and beyond what we can typically help with.

Hopefully some of the ideas Trisha put forward will have been of use to you (and I understand you may have been talking about this issue with her outside of the forums and perhaps hit on some other approaches there) but if you still need further help with this it is probably best to seek help from a suitable performance-minded dev.

theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/find-a-customizer

We have a list of folks we recommend (link above) and there are of course lots of others out there you might be able to recruit from WP-specific job/freelancer boards and so on.

Good luck with the project!

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Google Insights / Above the Fold JS driving me crazy’ is closed to new replies.