Googe/iCalendar: The URL provided could not be reached.

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Googe/iCalendar: The URL provided could not be reached.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    David
    Participant

I just purchased the Importer Bundle and installed it on a staging site.

I want to import events from a Google Calendar. When I try to use Event Aggregator to do a one-time import, I get the following error message:
    The URL provided could not be reached.

I have followed the “Testing for conflicts guide” (reverted to 2017 theme, disabled all other plugins, and cleared the cache). I also tried using the iCalendar option (from the “Import origin” dropdown), but got the same error.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by David.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Jennifer.
    David
    Participant

This reply is private.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by David.
    Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi David,

Thanks for reaching out! I’d be happy to help you with this.

I see that the URL you are using is public. If your calendar is private, then you will need to use the private URL to be able to import it.

You can go into Google Calendar > My Calendars and hover over the calendar you want to import. Click the arrow that appears and then Calendar Settings. Here, you should see two green iCal buttons – click the one next to Private Address and try importing with that link (select Google Calendar as your Import Origin in Event Aggregator).

Let me know if that works for you!

David
    Participant

This reply is private.

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing the screenshot. The calendar is indeed public. I did some more digging, and it looks like this could be related to a timeout issue on the Event Aggregator server. I logged a ticket internally, and we are looking into this.

In the meantime, can you try exporting the calendar to a .ics file and then importing it into your site that way? Let me know if this works for you, and I will let you know as soon as I have an answer on the timeout issue.

Thanks,

Jennifer

David
    Participant

Downloading the ICS file and importing it results in this error (which does not change if I wait a while and try again):

“The preview is taking longer than expected. Please try again in a moment.”

The file is larger (almost 13 MB) – could it be too big?

Doing a Google Calendar import with a much smaller calendar (33 events) does work: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/en.usa%23holiday%40group.v.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi David,

I wanted to give you an update on this…I apologize for the delayed response – It looks like my previous reply wasn’t saved for some reason, so I’m sorry about that!

It seems like this may be related to the timeout issue that you were experiencing when trying to use the link, especially since you were able to import the smaller calendar. Theoretically there aren’t any limits to the file sizes, but it seems that the amount of time it takes for everything to load is exceeding the timeouts set on the server.

I updated our internal ticket for this issue, so we should have an answer on this soon. If you run into any more issues with this in the meantime, please let me know.

I really appreciate your patience as we work through this issue! I will get back to you by early next week with an update.

Thanks,

Jennifer

David
    Participant

I appreciate the work your team has been doing looking into this issue. I just wanted to check in and see if there’s been any progress, since I believe the refund deadline is coming up in a week or two and I’ll need to get a refund if the Events Calendar does not import from Google Calendar for me.

Thank you,

David

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi David,

Thank you for being patient with us while we look for a solution here! Unfortunately I don’t have an update yet – I linked this thread to the internal ticket, so as soon as it’s updated, you’ll get notified here. In the meantime, have you tried importing from either of those calendars again recently? I was thinking about another way you might be able to import your events…you could try importing the calendar from a csv (try converting the ics file into a csv – this site will let you do that).

I did go ahead and extend your Event Aggregator license by 1 month. I’m sorry getting Google events imported has been such a hassle! We do offer full refunds within 30 days as you mentioned, so if you would like to go this route, just let me know and I can process it for you.

Thanks,

Jennifer

David
    Participant

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for continuing to look into this. I hope you’re able to get it working with Google Calendar since that is central to how I would like to use this plugin.

I’ll continue to keep an eye on this threat, but in the mean time, please process the refund for my purchase – without that feature I can’t use the plugin for its intended purpose and I’d hate to be out $200 with nothing to show for it.

Thank you,

David

Jennifer
    Keymaster

Hi David,

No problem – I just processed the refund. I’m sorry we weren’t able to get this resolved sooner, but do keep an eye out on this thread for updates! Please feel free to let me know if there is anything else I can help you with in the meantime.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi David!

Just wanted to share with you that a new release for the Event Aggregator server is out including a fix for this issue.

I’m truly sorry for the delay in getting this fixed. I hope you can consider trying out the Event Aggregator service again. In which case we’d love to get more feedback from your experience with it.

Best,
    Victor

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Googe/iCalendar: The URL provided could not be reached.’ is closed to new replies.