Geolocation / only display events whose venues are within 50km of the user

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Geolocation / only display events whose venues are within 50km of the user

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ashia

Hello,

I’m very excited about the possibility of using The Events Calendar for an upcoming project and have a question. Here’s what I would like to be able to do:

I’d like to be able to create event listings for events that are taking place across a number of different cities, BUT when a user comes to the site, I’d like that user to be able to either: a) type in a location and then *only* see events that will be happening within a 50km radius of that location, or else b) have the browser use geolocation to determine the user’s location and then return only events that will be happening within 50km of that location.

Using the GeoMyWP plugin, I’ve been able to come close to achieving this functionality for The Events Calendar, but the problem is that the two are not integrated, so the location has to be entered twice — once in the Calendar’s event venue field, and then once again in the GeoMyWP location field. I’d like to avoid this by having geolocation reference data from the venue field in The Events Calendar.

Do you have any suggestions and/or is there any way of doing this with existing Events Calendar functionality?
    (If not, would you be willing to consider this as a suggestion for a new feature?)

Thanks in advance!

George
    Participant

Hey Ashia,

Thanks for reaching out!

With Events Calendar Pro’s “Map View,” and location filtering, the results that will be returned are results within 25 miles of the location entered. The placement of events, and thus the addresses used for searching, are indeed

This is the only sort of filtering our plugins provide; there’s nothing that The Events Calendar does on this front and we unfortunately have no support for or integration with the GeoMyWP plugin ๐Ÿ™

There is also n functionality in our plugins at this time that uses the user’s browser to geo-locate things โ€“ย all map/location-related functionality in our plugins is tied to the addresses of Venues.

I’m sorry to disappoint about some of these inherent limitations at this point! But you mention feature suggestions, and yes, these ideas can definitely be passed along to our developers. I would recommend posting the ideas as well on our UserVoice page at http://tribe.uservoice.com โ€“ this will let other folks “vote up” your idea if they want it, too, and this is a great pool of ideas that we often refer to when building new features.

Please let me know if this information is helpful and if there’s anything else I can try to help with!

Sincerely,
    George

Ashia

Thanks very much George! I’ve voted up a couple of suggestions that were already on the tribe.uservoice forum. It really would be great if this could be implemented. Thank you!

George
    Participant

Thanks Ashia! I agree that this would be an excellent feature. Stay tuned to plugin updates over the months to come and beyond, and better support for the things you suggest may indeed arrive.

Best of luck with your project,
    George

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Geolocation / only display events whose venues are within 50km of the user’ is closed to new replies.