Form data not retained upon submit if required field is empty

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Form data not retained upon submit if required field is empty

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    etcwebdiv
    Participant

I have the /events/community/add page set up and ready to go for my new website, but in testing I am finding that if I leave a required field empty (such as Event Title or Event Description) and hit submit, the form resets and the “Event Time & Date”, “Event Image” and “Event Categories” fields do not retain the information that was entered. (“Venue Details”, “Organizer Details”, “Event Website” and “Event Cost” do keep their data.)

Particularly since the datepickers are reset, I’d like to find a way to prevent this from happening. Else we will end up with a lot of events submitted with today’s date instead of the actual date.

Is there something that I can do in my configuration to avoid this? I would consider changing “Event Description” to make it not required, as that would be an easy answer and I think it’s more likely that field will be left empty as opposed to the Event Title, but can’t seem to find this as an option in the admin.

EDIT: I am making an edit of this submission just to make a minor correction, and when I clicked Edit, the dropdown menu to select the support channel, the Site’s URL, and the System Information field were cleared out and I had to enter this information again. Not exactly the same issue, but essentially the same result as the issue I’m seeking support for.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by etcwebdiv. Reason: Minor correction in description of issue

Hi Matt,

Thanks so much for reaching out!

I see what you mean about the form resetting itself if a required field is left blank.  You can add the snippet provided in the following forum thread to make the event description optional:

https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/changing-the-event-description-to-not-required/

In addition, you can optionally add/change the error message when a required field is left blank and the form is reset, to alert submitters that the date is reset (or something similar):
    https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/required-fields-for-events-submission-form/#errors

Let me know how it goes and if you have any other questions on this topic!

Thanks,

Jaime

etcwebdiv
    Participant

Jaime,

Thank you for the reply. For now I am just going to use the first filter you referenced, to make the Event Description not required. I would prefer to keep that field required, but if the datepickers are not going to retain their data if a required field is left empty, that’s a choice I have to make.

Upon further review, I found that this is a known bug:
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/submission-form-required-fields-and-error-message/#post-1396257

Is there any ETA for resolving this issue? Once it’s resolved I can then remove this filter, to make the Event Description/post_content required again.

Thank you for your time.

Hi Matt,

The issue that you referenced is currently being worked on.  I have added this thread to the bug report so that you will be notified when a fix has become available.  Unfortunately, I cannot give you an exact ETA at this time, but I can assure you that work has begun on this issue.

Thank you for your patience in this process.  Please let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime.

Thanks,

Jaime

Nico

Hi there,

Just wanted to share with you that a new maintenance release is out, including a fix for this issue.

Find out more about this release → https://theeventscalendar.com/maintenance-release-for-the-week-of-12-feburary-2018/

Update the plugins and let us know if the fix works for your site,
    Cheers,
    Nico

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Form data not retained upon submit if required field is empty’ is closed to new replies.