filters, custom fields, shortcodes, and ical?

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions filters, custom fields, shortcodes, and ical?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark

A few pre-sales questions for the pro plugin:

1) Does the event calendar have a category filtering option?
    2) Can we easily add custom fields to the event calendar plugin through something like the Advanced Custom Fields plugin?
    3) Are there any shortcode options at all? I need the ability to have event lists by category or some other filter that I can put on specific pages on a site.
    4) Is there an ical and/or ics options? Obviously read only, but could be useful for users that want to subscribe to a particular event category or simply add a single event to their own calendar.

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Mark!

It’s nice to meet you for sure. I can definitely help answer those questions:

1) Does the event calendar have a category filtering option?

Yes it does. Every category can be clicked on, which takes you a view like this one: http://wpshindig.com/events/category/business/community-events/ You can even link directly to them from anywhere on your site. Some people use a free addon like The Events Calendar Category Colors to make each category colorized, and to provide easy links at the top of the calendar to view each.

2) Can we easily add custom fields to the event calendar plugin through something like the Advanced Custom Fields plugin?

Part of the PRO plugin is the ability to add custom fields to each event. It does not need a third party plugin to do this, that is a built in feature!

3) Are there any shortcode options at all? I need the ability to have event lists by category or some other filter that I can put on specific pages on a site.

You can show a list of up to ten events with a shortcode or widget, then at the bottom it provides a link to view more. Or, you can show a minicalendar not unlike the month view, and again it can be limited to a category. Both of these are widget that can also be embedded with a shortcode directly into a page.

4) Is there an ical and/or ics options? Obviously read only, but could be useful for users that want to subscribe to a particular event category or simply add a single event to their own calendar.

Yeah that is also a part of the calendar :). Every page with a list of events has a link at the bottom to download that list as an .ics file.

Does that answer all your questions? Can I help with anything else? Please let me know. Cheers!

– Brook

Mark

Ah, so its ics only? No way for an ical link that people can subscribe to so that when new items are added, they automatically show up in the users calendar? I for example have a feed for the USMNT soccer team in order to always be aware of upcoming matches, etc. This would be a great option for my project so that users can subscribe to a particular category and always be aware of upcoming and new events for it.

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Mark,

Some of our users have been able to get their calendar apps to subscribe to feeds in this format:

webcal://example.com/events/ical

However, it seems not all calendar apps support this, because I have witnessed at least one user having issues. That’s about all I know though, as the user never closed the topic before I was able to get additional information. It would seem possible that some apps may not support syncing this way. And since it is not an official nor advertised feature of our calendar, it’s a bit untested of waters.

Does that answer your question? Can I be of further help?

Cheers!

– Brook

Mark

Is there actually any documentation on the ical feed and if its filterable?

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Mark,

I think I can clarify. The iCal feed is based on the current view. If you are viewing month view, then appending /feed to the URL or clicking the iCal link will give you the file for the month (all events in that view). If you are viewing the List view, then the 20 or so events you have set to display on list view will be in the iCal feed.

There is not really any documentation, because that’s all there is to it. I suppose it would be a rather short article. In the case of this URL it is the iCal feed for your default view of your calendar: webcal://example.com/events/ical

Please let me know if you have any more questions. Cheers!

– Brook

Brook
    Participant

Since this topic has gone for a spell without any activity I am going to archive it. However, please feel free to open a new topic if you need anything else. Cheers!

– Brook

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘filters, custom fields, shortcodes, and ical?’ is closed to new replies.