Filter Google Map Embed

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Filter Google Map Embed

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Will
    Participant

Hello,
    I need a way to filter the google map embed without altering the plugin’s admin/event-map.php file. I basically need to add my own style variable to recolor the map. I can transform the map object once it’s loaded via javascript, but my users see the visual transform from default map to new styles.

Is there a way I can write a function that will catch the event-map.php before it fires? Or overwrite it without altering the default file so that I don’t lose changes when an update occurs?

Thanks,

will lanni

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Will,

I’m not sure how to do this myself but have passed it on to one of our developers to take a look. Stay tuned.

Regards,
    – Jonah

Will
    Participant

Thanks Jonah!! If I can come up with a decent javascript solution I’ll post it back here for future use.

Will
    Participant

Hey folks,
    Here’s how I would handle this moving forward if I wanted to extend out the ability to customize a map in the calendar:
    In the Event control in the dashboard, I’d add a text area input after the google map width/height controls to allow people to add generated JSON from the style wizard on googlecode.com: http://gmaps-samples-v3.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/styledmaps/wizard/index.html and store it in a variable named something like $embedGoogleMapsStyle; or whatever makes sense to you guys, and add an apply_filters() to it:
    $embedGoogleMapsStyle = apply_filters( ‘tribe_google_maps_style’, ‘[contents of the text field, however that shows up here]’);

In the-events-calendar/admin-views/event-map.php, after the mapTypeID entry (line 20), I’d add a comma, line break, then:
    styles: myStyles

And before the var myOptions() on line 16, I’d add a new variable with the ability to apply filters, something like this (I’ve never actually written a filter before so please excuse the horrific syntax and erroneous code):

var myStyles = {

}

Will
    Participant

For anyone who is looking for a temporary fix, please note that this will get wiped out whenever the plugin gets updated, but it’s pretty easy to add back in:

Open

the-events-calendar/admin-views/event-map.php

Line 19, add a comma after ROADMAP:

mapTypeId: google.maps.MapTypeId.ROADMAP,

Add:

styles:

And then paste the JSON from the wizard link in my post above into that area (it should be wrapped in [] brackets, for example:
    [
    {
    “elementType”: “geometry.fill”,
    “stylers”: [
    { “visibility”: “on” },
    { “color”: “#ffffff” }
    ]
    }
    ]

Leah

Thanks for posting your code, Will!

Will
    Participant

You’re welcome! I wish I could post code in a pre tag… shoot… maybe I can?

testing 1 2 3 4

Jonah
    Participant
    Jonah
    Participant
    Will
    Participant

You know, with the amount of code I look at on github, you’d think I’d use it more. 😛

Will
    Participant

OK, here’s a better code post than my earlier one, my apologies for the rookie code post. Thanks Jonah for the link to Snippi–wish I could get their facebook login to work…

1) Create a Google Map style here: http://gmaps-samples-v3.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/styledmaps/wizard/index.html

2) Copy the JSON code provided.

3) Open /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/admin-views/event-map.php

4) Add styles: method to var myOptions (starts line 16), and format it to match my example on snippi.com. (My example will change your google map to a black and white map).

http://snippi.com/s/8i4j4qd

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Filter Google Map Embed’ is closed to new replies.