"Featured Images" add an ever increasing burden on the database's postmeta table

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO "Featured Images" add an ever increasing burden on the database's postmeta table

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

Over time, each event added to a TEC Pro site that utilizes a featured image bloats the database to HUGE sizes. Even if the image is only loaded into uploads once and used over and over again, it saves a new copy for every event that uses that image into the DB. As an example, we’ve run over 12,000 events with TEC Pro, each with an attached feature image that has resulted in a database with about 1 GiB of images. This places an undue burden on the server, as it fills up the wp_postmeta table with a ton of sizable entries from expired events.

This is a very important issue for power users of TEC Pro, as database maintenance is of primary concern to any wordpress user with a large site.

For the short term, can Modern Tribe provide a SQL query that will delete all images saved in the database for expired events?

For the long term, I think this should be dealt with as a maintenance plugin for TEC Pro to remove expired events and all related data from a user’s site. Ideally, I see it providing the following:

Delete all expired events based off a user defined setting
    1. All events, immediately upon expiration.
    2. All events, at a user defined time period after expiration.
    3. Events of selected categories, immediately upon expiration.
    4. Events of selected categories, at a user defined time period after expiration.

When deleting events, the plugin should also delete any related postmeta data, including featured images, reviews, etc.

While I don’t think this plugin would be necessary for most users who just run a few events a month, for power users who run HUNDREDS of events every month, this is a priority need to keep our database size under control.

Thanks for your time.

Hi Mike,

I responded to your other thread, so I’m going to go ahead and close out this duplicate thread.

See you over there!

Thanks,

Jaime

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘"Featured Images" add an ever increasing burden on the database's postmeta table’ is closed to new replies.