Featured image and custom fields not importing using Other URL import option

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Featured image and custom fields not importing using Other URL import option

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Slade
    Participant

I recently purchased the event aggregator and did my first import. The native event content was imported but the featured image and all of my custom fields did not get imported.

Re the custom fields, I assume all of the meta fields/id’s need to be the same on both sites? Is that correct? I just want to make sure before I go down that road. My custom fields were built with the Advanced Custom Fields plugin.

I was also wondering if it’s possible to import events that are upcoming but more than 3 months ahead. I noticed that in the Other URL Import Settings 3 months is the farthest you can set it to for Import Date Range. Is this possible?

FYI, the site is on a staging url

Patricia

Hey Slade,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

Could you please send us the URL from where you are importing these events (in a private reply) so we can take a look?

Answering your question, to increase the import limit to more than 3 months, please add this custom code to your theme’s functions.php file (or create your own custom plugin), change the Import Date Range to One Year and let me know if everything works as expected after that.

Please bear in mind that if the website from where you are importing these events is hosted in a low resource host and you hammer them with too many requests, it could cause a connection timeout or cause performance issues for their regular visitors. Also, it is possible that the site owner has added restrictions to better protect themselves, so it is not 100% guaranteed that the site from where you are importing these events will honor your request.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions in the mean time, please feel free to let me know and I’d be happy to help as best I can!

Cheers,

Patricia

Slade
    Participant

This reply is private.

Patricia

Hi Slade,

Thanks for sharing the site URL with us! I’ve ran some tests and was able to reproduce the same error: featured image and custom fields did not get imported.

But, when I try to import from other sites like our demo site (https://wpshindig.com/events/list/), all images are correctly imported, so I believe this issue is associated with the way how you are creating these events and attaching images to them (in the origin site). Could you please make sure that you are adding images in the Featured Image field as you can see here?

Thanks!

Patricia

Slade
    Participant

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for the reply, we are adding the featured images exactly the way you described and displayed in your screenshot. I have attached a screenshot of a featured image from an event within the site i’m pulling from.

Patricia

Hi Slade,

As I can see from your system info you are running The Events Calendar version 4.5.8 and Events Calendar PRO version 4.4.14. Could you please update both plugins and try to import your events again?

Thanks!

Patricia

Slade
    Participant

I have updated both events calendar plugins on both sites to the most recent versions and tried another import and unfortunately i’m still not seeing the featured image get imported.

Patricia

Hi Slade,

I ran some tests and imported events from different sites and the only one from where I’m not able to import the featured images is yours. I’m not sure about the reason yet.

Could you please run the following tests?

• Now that all plugins up-to-date, please create a new test event in your origin site (with a featured image). Import this new event to your second site: is the featured image still missing?
    • If you import one event from https://wpshindig.com/events/list/, is the featured image correctly imported to your site?

Thanks,

Patricia

Slade
    Participant

Thanks Patricia

I have tried both of your suggestions and unfortunately still no luck. I tried creating a new event with a featured image on the source site, ran another import and it didn’t work. I did want to mention that yesterday I did a test import using your test site https://wpshindig.com/events/list/ and it did work.

I then started troubleshooting the source site (https://vilarpac.org/events) to see if my setup on that site is the problem. I removed plugins and checked server config and error logs etc. I did find some errors in the error log, however unrelated to the aggregator plugin. Do you think my server config could be causing the problem? Both sites are on the same server and we are on a dedicated server hosted by Rackspace and running php 7.0.26 on both sites with an upload max file size of 8MB. If there are any other specific server settings I should have in place let me know.

I was also checking for any differences between your test site and my sites. I did notice that you have absolute urls defined for the images on the test site. On my sites they all have relative url’s, could that be a problem?. Other than that I can’t seem to find any other differences.

I also setup a staging site for the source site http://vpac.970design.com/events/ and started disabling plugins to see if a plugin conflict may be causing this but I have not found any so far.

If there is anything else you can think of for me to try let me know.

Thanks for all your help and happy holidays!

Patricia

Hi Slade,

I’ve compared individual events from 3 different sites: your site, our demo site (wpshinding.com) and my local WordPress install (mt01.com). Here’s what I’ve found:

• In our demo site and in my local install, all featured images are wrapped with a tribe-events-event-image class and (as you already noticed), the images URLs are absolute. In your site, featured images are not wrapped in this class and the URLs are relative.

Screenshots:

I believe this could be associated with a theme conflict or a customization. If you temporarily change your theme to Twenty Seventeen in your staging site, is your featured image wrapped in the tribe-events-event-image class? Are you able to import the event with the featured image after this change? Let me know your test results!

Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll be happy to assist!

Happy holidays 🙂

Patricia

Slade
    Participant

Hi Patricia

I added a div around my event image and added the class “tribe-events-event-image” and also switched the theme on my staging site to the twentyseventeen theme and it still won’t import the featured image unfortunately. Any other ideas I can try?

thanks again for all the help

Slade
    Participant

Good News!!!

After changing my featured images from relative to absolute url’s the featured image imported finally! I wish I would have tried that sooner but it works now!

Thanks again for all your help, I will mark this as resolved.

Patricia

Hi Slade,

I’m glad to hear that everything is working as expected now :)! Thanks for sharing your solution here!

If you need an assistance again or have other concerns, please feel free to open up a new thread, we’ll be more than happy to help you!

Cheers,

Patricia

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Featured image and custom fields not importing using Other URL import option’ is closed to new replies.