Featured checkbox ‘unchecking’ on community edit

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Featured checkbox ‘unchecking’ on community edit

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dirk
    Participant

Hi guys,

Good to see some nice and very useful changes in 4.4
    We really like the support for featured events, we use it highlight the events which have ticket sales active.

After sales are started we mark the event featured but once the ‘owner’ of the event makes some little changes in the community events form the featured option is unchecked.

Is this intentional?

Cheers,
    Dirk

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Dirk,

That’s a good question. I do not see anything explicit in our documentation indicating that this is expected.

Perhaps more importantly, we should consider what should we expect to happen here? There are going to be a few types of ways to use this featured events feature.

• The site admin curates events, featuring ones they find especially awesome. In this case they might wish to manually review each event edit, and see if it still deserves to be featured.
    • People are paying the site admin to feature an event. In this case no matter what edit a user makes, the site admin likely wants it to stay featured.
    • No doubt many others.

I think we will have to ponder this a bit, and try to come up with a better solution. I’m guessing the best way to handle the first usecase, where the site admin would like to rereview before deciding if an event is featured, would be to save the updated post as a draft in need of review, and not allow it to be published until the admin reviews and okays it. In which case we should probably preserve the featured event status unless it is manually changed by an admin.

Does that sound right to you? If so I will ticket this.

Cheers!

– Brook

Dirk
    Participant

Hi Brook,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Like you said; it makes sense that admins would want to check and audit events before they’re featured, no matter what the motivation would be. However, once it’s featured you don’t want it drop from that list every time when a community editor changes something like a spelling error, or changes the amount of available tickets, or etc. etc. etc, usually small changes. (Sometimes they don’t even change anything, but save it ‘just to be sure’, before exiting.)

I understand that admins would also like to know if the post is still ‘featured worthy’ after an edit and in that case I think enabling the ‘draft’ options would be great.

So to sum up: I think it’s better when once featured, they will be kept featured unless you use the draft-before-publish option.

Thank you,
    Dirk

Brook
    Participant

I am going to pass this along to our strategist. Here’s what I am expecting to happen:

1. For starters, we will make it so that the Featured Events never changes automatically, you must always manually set it. This is a bug to my mind.
    2. Later on we will  add a feature that saves editted events as drafts, when you have set your site to manually approve events. This will not affect Featured Events directly, but it will give admins the chance to manually change the status if they so choose.

Thank your for the feedback. I am going to add your topic to the bug ticket, that way you will get notified as soon as a fix is released for this.

Cheers!

– Brook

Dirk
    Participant

Hi,

Good to hear it’s picked up and that in the future it will not change once it’s set.

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Dirk

Brook
    Participant

Absolutely. It’s currently marked as a P2 in our system. We do have some higher priority bugs we need to hit first, but after that we’ll get this fixed.

Thanks again!

– Brook

Nico

Hey,

Just wanted to share with you that a new maintenance release (for the Week of 12th June 2017) is out, including a fix for this issue ?

Find out more about this release → https://theeventscalendar.com/maintenance-release-for-the-week-of-12th-june-2017/

Please update the plugins and let us know if the fix works for your site,
    Best,
    Nico

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Featured checkbox ‘unchecking’ on community edit’ is closed to new replies.