Feature suggestion and customization question

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Feature suggestion and customization question

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    eocdesign
    Participant

Hi there,

First of all, thank you for the wonderful plugin! My only complaint is with all of the day view pages that are generated.

I’m wondering if there is some way to modify the plugin so that it does not generate pages for individual day views at all, even on days with events? My calendar is not very busy, so I don’t really need the day view feature anyway. Maybe a setting like “Disable day view” would be a helpful addition for those experiencing SEO problems? I don’t even know if that’s possible, but it’s just a thought!

Barry

Hi Caitlin.

It would certainly be possible to customize the templates a little so that the calendar for instance doesn’t provide a link to the list of events on a given date.

Would that help?

eocdesign
    Participant

I’ve already edited the template so that there is no link to the day view, the problem is that the pages are still being generated and indexed somehow. The only real fix from an SEO standpoint is to prevent these empty pages from being generated in the first place.

Barry

OK, that’s an interesting issue. I’m just chatting to some other team members, could be that there are a couple of different ways to approach this. I’ll get back to you once I’ve got something a little more substantive to report 🙂

eocdesign
    Participant

Okay, great. Thank you!

Barry

Hey Caitlin, we haven’t forgotten about you! Bear with us a little longer 🙂

Barry

So I’ve asked for some support from one of the developers for this one – I’m not completely sure if it’s something we will be able to help with but as soon as I hear back I will of course let you know.

Thanks for your patience!

eocdesign
    Participant

Ok, thanks. I knew this would be more than a simple fix so no worries 🙂

Barry

Hey Caitlin, just dropping in to let you know we haven’t forgotten about you. I’m hopeful that we might have an update – either a possible fix or the final word on whether we can support this or not – fairly soon.

Stay tuned!

Barry

Once again I’m just popping by to reassure you that this is still on the radar. I’ll check in with one of our developers (who is looking into this) and see if there is any update for you.

Thanks for your patience.

Barry

Hey Caitlin: got a couple of questions for you – the first is to ask if you are you running any additional SEO-related plugins, site-map generators or anything like that … and if so could you provide a note of what those are?

Secondly, there are at least two ways to deal with requests for empty day views – one would be to return a 404 (page not found) error, the other would be to do a 301 redirect back to the calendar view for the relevant month. Do you have any particular preference as to how you’d like to see this handled?

It is in simple terms a choice between telling a visitor (including Google) that the page doesn’t exist, or telling them they should go see another page instead.

Look forward to hearing from you 🙂

Barry

Hi Caitlin! One of our devs has got an idea that could work here – we would need your feedback about how you want to handle things though (please see my last post).

We’ll keep this open for a week or so to give you a decent window to reply.

Thanks!

Barry

Hi again! It’s been a few days so I’m just checking in to see if you still need this functionality and if you are able to answer my previous questions (which would help our developer to form a solution):

1. Are you running any other SEO related plugins? (If so could you provide a note of what those are, including sitemap generators etc)

2. How would you like these requests to be handled – a 404 (effectively saying the page does not exist) or a 301 (redirecting the user/search engine to another page, such as the calendar for the relevant month).

I look forward to hearing from you!

Barry

OK so what we’re going to do is close this post – if at some point in the future you feel you want this functionality please don’t hesitate to create a new thread, for the time being however we’ll consider the issue closed.

Thanks for contacting us and good luck with your project 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Feature suggestion and customization question’ is closed to new replies.