Feature Request: Description Text for Custom Fields

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Feature Request: Description Text for Custom Fields

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant

Hello,

It would be really useful if I could add description text for custom fields. This text would appear on the admin page probably in small italics underneath the provided Field Label. Currently, I have to access the field by the full label in the code. For example

$fields = tribe_get_custom_fields();
    $show_accommodations_info = $fields["Hide Accommodations Info Links? (shown by default)"] != "hide";

This is kind of awkward, especially if I need long/detailed help text. And, it is error prone – if I want to change the help text, I have to change the Field Label, which means I have to change any code that accesses it in the array.

It would be helpful if I could access the $fields array another way, such as:

$fields = tribe_get_custom_fields();
    $show_accommodations_info = $fields["_ecp_custom_10[]"] != "hide";

This would alleviate the potential error caused by changing the “Field Label” text, though it would still be useful to have a description that is separate from the label.

Thanks!

Geoff

Hey Josh,

That’s an EXCELLENT idea.Thanks for sharing that here and for the examples as well. That’s pretty awesome.

Advanced Custom Fields might be a little easier than having to manage those in the code yourself. I still think this would be an excellent idea to share in our feature request forum though, so please do drop it in there if you have a moment. I can see how that would be super helpful to manage right out of the box rather than relying on custom code or third-party plugins.

Cheers!
    Geoff

Josh
    Participant

Ok, I have posted a feature request: http://tribe.uservoice.com/forums/195723-feature-ideas/suggestions/10376586-add-description-text-for-custom-fields

I will also check out the Advanced Custom Fields plugin – thank you for the suggestion.

Feel free to close the ticket.

Thanks!

Geoff

Right on, thanks a ton for following up–and for adding the feature request. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Feature Request: Description Text for Custom Fields’ is closed to new replies.