facebook add-on and categories

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions facebook add-on and categories

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Justin Beagley

I am interested in your facebook add-on but need to make sure it will accomplish my goals functionally. I need to import tons of events across the nation every week. I need the events to have the state the event is located in as the events category. If this is custom work and not a native feature, I understand. I just want to know if it is possible with your plugin, and if its custom about how much it would cost. Thank You.

Casey D

Hello Justin Beagley,

Thanks for contacting us.

Unfortunately, that feature isn’t available at this time.

If you have a moment, we’d love for you to submit your idea to our UserVoice forum. We take user ideas and contributions very seriously, and many times their ideas end up in our future releases.

Cheers!

– Casey Driscoll

justin beagley

will PRO arrange these imported facebook events onto a state map for me?

Casey D

Hi Justin Beagley,

Unfortunately, conceptually, there is no such ‘thing’ as a ‘state map’ with our plugins. It is all one big international Google Map, that zooms in according to the events available.

You would need the Events Calendar Pro premium plugin to enable map view, but there isn’t really additional integration that Pro offers with the Facebook plugin. Especially on the level of customization you are looking for.

Here is one example of the map in use http://wpshindig.com/events/map/

The Facebook plugin will import specific venue data, but only if the data is fully filled out in the Facebook event. This will not be imported as a category taxonomy on the Tribe_Event custom post type though, but as venue data.

We are currently unable to scope out customized work or give hourly or budgetary estimates. If you would like a list of approved freelancers, feel free to email us at [email protected].

We typically make a full pass of the forum and email every 24-48 hours, offering as detailed support as we are able.

Does this make sense? Let me know if I can explain anything else! 🙂

Cheers!

– Casey Driscoll

Casey D

Just wanted to add, the free core version of The Events Calendar will put a map on a single event, if the Facebook event has the venue data.

You just need the Pro plugin for the Map View, showing all the events in a geographical area.

justin beagley

So facebook events will show up on the PRO map? will the community events show up on the PRO map as well? Can both facebook events and community events show up on the same map?

This question is from your demo map above… would simply typing in ‘wisconsin’ in the ‘near’ search box… hitting search… then using that URL as my Wisconsin state map… would that provide good consistent results? like here (http://wpshindig.com/events/map/?action=tribe_geosearch&tribe_paged=1&tribe_event_display=map&tribe-bar-geoloc-lat=43.7844397&tribe-bar-geoloc-lng=-88.78786780000001&tribe-bar-geoloc=Wisconsin)

the reason for the last question is that it didn’t seem to pull up events when I tried it with the California events, but san fransisco did list events… is there like a radius for that ‘near’ search or something?

Casey D

Hello Justin Beagley,

In our system, all events are equal, as long as they are published. The different views, like ‘Month’ or ‘Map’ view, only change the display of the events stored in the system. So events imported by the Facebook plugin, as long as they have the proper venue information attached, will be shown on the ‘Map’ view provided by the Pro plugin.

The Community Events plugin is just an elegant form solution for users to submit events. Once they are in your system they are the same as every other event, once they have the ‘published’ status. The default status is ‘draft’ though, for pending approval of the administrator, to prevent spam events showing up on your website. Like the Facebook plugin, once they are in the system, they will show up on the ‘Map’ view provided by the Pro plugin, as long as they have the proper venue information attached. (It is impossible to display an event on a map if it doesn’t have the minimal amount of address information)

All events with proper venue information will show up on the Map view, including all Community Events and Facebook events.

The map is built to properly display the events in a balanced and aesthetically pleasing matter, so the state lines and boundaries may be sacrificed for that. If the events are spread out enough, a user would see the entire state, but otherwise they will just see a subset. For example, the link you sent me only really shows the Milwaukee metro.

2014-05-21 at 10.19 AM

Depending on the size of the state and the clustering of the events, the ‘state’ view you are looking for may or may not be possible. There is a setting to change the scope of the search radius. I believe the ‘Wisconsin’ search works because both events are within this scope, while the ‘California’ events are farther away. (there is no location in ‘California’ where a radius of 25 miles contains both of the events. I think that is how it works at least)

2014-05-21 at 10.33 AM

Does this make sense? Let me know if I can explain anything else!

Cheers!

– Casey Driscoll

Justin Beagley

Thank you. That is very clear and answers all of my pre-sale questions. I believe this will work for what I need done. I don’t necessarily need the state lines… just a way to filter events down to a more regional level since I will have events in close to every state.

jonwalker72
    Participant

I purchased PRO, Facebook events, and Community events:) Thanks for the pre-sale support!

Justin Beagley

That was me above as jonwalker72…

Casey D

Hello Justin Beagley,

Happy it worked out!

We’d love it if you would leave us a review and let people know how much you like the plugin! http://m.tri.be/jt

I’ll go ahead and close this thread. Let us know if we can help with anything else.

– Casey Driscoll

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘facebook add-on and categories’ is closed to new replies.