Extra being added by code… why?

Home Forums Ticket Products Eventbrite Tickets Extra being added by code… why?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy
    Participant

Seriously, I have more support posts on this forum that I think anyone should ever need to.

So, tell me this. If I write this code in Eventbrite when I create the event:

<H3>Come join an exciting after-school LEGO club with Building Bonanza!</H3>
    <P>Build LEGO® pyramids, towers, bridges, mansions, boats and even race your friends with LEGO® race cars in this hands on learning class! Practice teamwork, communication, and problem solving in group projects while practicing science and math ideas.</P>
    <UL>
    <LI>This class is designed for mature kindergarten students and above.</LI>
    <LI>All LEGO projects and other class materials remain property of Bonanza Educational. There are no take-home projects.</LI>
    <LI>Classes are run weekly and skip all holidays, half days, and school break days.</LI>
    </UL>

And then I import it into WP and it saves in the HTML tab as this (the same, as it should):

<H3>Come join an exciting after-school LEGO club with Building Bonanza!</H3>
    <P>Build LEGO® pyramids, towers, bridges, mansions, boats and even race your friends with LEGO® race cars in this hands on learning class! Practice teamwork, communication, and problem solving in group projects while practicing science and math ideas.</P>
    <UL>
    <LI>This class is designed for mature kindergarten students and above.</LI>
    <LI>All LEGO projects and other class materials remain property of Bonanza Educational. There are no take-home projects.</LI>
    <LI>Classes are run weekly and skip all holidays, half days, and school break days.</LI>
    </UL>

Why in the hell does it turn into this on the event page on my site:

<p></p>
    <h3>Come join an exciting after-school LEGO club with Building Bonanza!</h3>
    <br>
    <p>Build LEGO® pyramids, towers, bridges, mansions, boats and even race your friends with LEGO® race cars in this hands on learning class! Practice teamwork, communication, and problem solving in group projects while practicing science and math ideas.</p>
    <br>
    <ul>
    <br>
    <li>This class is designed for mature kindergarten students and above.</li>
    <br>
    <li>All LEGO projects and other class materials remain property of Bonanza Educational. There are no take-home projects.</li>
    <br>
    <li>Classes are run weekly and skip all holidays, half days, and school break days.</li>
    <br>
    </ul>
    <br>

And why in the hell when I save the event in WP does it then update the EB listing that already had perfect code and turn into this, which displays like crap:

<h3>Come join an exciting after-school LEGO club with Building Bonanza!</h3>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Build LEGO&reg; pyramids, towers, bridges, mansions, boats and even race your friends with LEGO&reg; race cars in this hands on learning class! Practice teamwork, communication, and problem solving in group projects while practicing science and math ideas.</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <ul>
    <ul>
    <li>This class is designed for mature kindergarten students and above.</li>
    </ul>
    </ul>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <ul>
    <ul>
    <li>All LEGO projects and other class materials remain property of Bonanza Educational. There are no take-home projects.</li>
    </ul>
    </ul>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <ul>
    <ul>
    <li>Classes are run weekly and skip all holidays, half days, and school break days.</li>
    </ul>
    </ul>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>

Like seriously, for software that I PAID MONEY FOR you guys sure as heck have yet to justify a penny of what I’ve paid. Every few months I’m self-supporting paid software. Its beyond ridiculous. AND THIS ERROR IS BEYOND RIDICULOUS too!

In what world does formatted HTML get parsed on output? Why in the heck does Eventbrite, the output on my site, and the input in the backend not match?

Here is my current painfully annoying workflow:

Add Event in EB > Import to my Site > Go Back to EB to fix the damaged caused HTML by Tribe Events > Cry while I accept my Website will look like crap because I can’t fix the output locally.

Go ahead, look at my history on this forum. This hasn’t worked as promised all summer. What do I want? First of all, I want assurances this is a priority. Second, earlier this summer you all offered me a refund and/or free year renewal my niceness led me to say no. I changed my mind, I want it. I’m so done with fixing your stupid errors, getting updated software where you failed to deprecate functions that you reference in customization tutorial files, thus breaking my layouts, and overall delivering a consistently buggy, unreliable piece of software over-and-over again that, despite its flaws, small businesses rely on to work.

PS: And no, I’m not going deactivate other plugins and switch my themes. I’ve done that three times already this summer. Its always your fault.

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Jeremy,

I am truly sorry this has been a source of frustration. We want you to be as happy as possible, and will gladly give you a refund. When the refund happens outside of the credit card processor’s 30 day window we have to jump through some hoops on our end, but I believe it is still possible. If you would not mind emailing us your receipt email or a copy of your order number then we will handle the rest. Just email “support” at this website URL and it will start the process.

I wanted to first address your concern about a refund. The bulk of your topic though is asking why this is happening, and so I do want to break that down for you. WordPress runs most all content through a function called wpautop(). That function has a storied history of odd behavior, and this is a good example. Evidently when Eventbrite switched to all-caps for their HTML tags they broke compatibility with WordPress’ HTML parser.

We are working on a shim between Eventbrite and WordPress that will lowercase all of EventBrite’s <UL> style elements to <ul>, and are currently testing it out. Our latest fix can actually be pasted as a snippet in your theme’s functions.php file:

function lowercase_eventbrite_html( $args ) {
    $args['event.description.html'] = preg_replace_callback( '/(<\/?\w+)(.*?>)/', 'callback_strtolower_tags', $args['event.description.html'] );

return $args;
    }

function callback_strtolower_tags( $matches ) {
    return strtolower( $matches[1] ) . $matches[2];
    }

add_filter( 'tribe_eb_api_sync_event', 'lowercase_eventbrite_html' );

We are going to be doing some more tests with that code in the coming weeks, and if everything passes muster we will include it in the Eventbrite importer and fix this for good.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you, Jeremy. Again it pains me to see our plugin causing you difficulties and frustration. We take these complaints very seriously, especially about something that our team spends so much time and blood polishing. There have been a couple large hiccups this year that have caused difficulty. I want you to know that the second time it happened we took many steps and implemented some new systems to put us on a more direct line of communication with Eventbrite, that way when they do make changes in the future they will be unlikely to suddenly break our plugin.

Thanks!

– Brook

Rob

Thanks for the feedback, Jeremy. I see Brook has provided you the answer you need in his detailed follow-up reply, so hopefully that’ll help shed some light on the confusion here.

On my part, I want to stress: we are here to help and want to make sure everyone is getting their issues resolved. Bringing hostility into the forums does nothing to expedite that or ensure you get better service; in fact, it is straight up against the forum guidelines that we try to stress to all users on the primary forum page (https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/). I can understand that you are frustrated, but would ask that you not take that out on the support staff here. They are not the ones responsible for the specific problem you’re facing and are only here to help you get that problem resolved…hostility and anger will do nothing to help that.

That said, I am optimistic that Brook’s answer will help get you where you want to be; if not, let us know and we’ll do what we can to help from there! Thanks again for the feedback and your patience so far.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Extra being added by code… why?’ is closed to new replies.