Extending and integrating Event Calendar Pro/Community Events

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Extending and integrating Event Calendar Pro/Community Events

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Marcus J Wilson
    Participant

We’re working on a complex project now, for which we will be using Events Calendar Pro/Community Events as part of a wider community-based Film Festival site.

I wanted to get your feedback on how best to integrate your plugins to achieve some pretty specific functionality:

(1) We need to build a directory of Event Organizers on the site, which will include many additional fields and Organizer types to those provided in ECP. We’d need to allow users to submit and manage their own organisations from the front end of the site. Film listings for a particular Organizer should then appear on the Organizer’s directory page and within the submitting user’s own profile in BuddyPress. Would you suggest extending ECP’s core Organizers custom post type to achieve all of this, or would it be simpler to build out our own new Organizations custom post type?

(2) When users submit their own Events from the front end of the site, we would need users to be able to choose to associate their Events with ONLY Organizers which they themselves submitted to the site (i.e. the dropdown Organizers list should ONLY contain Organizer custom posts for which they are author). Could we customise Community Events to achieve this, or would we be better using something like Gravity Forms and Custom Post Types, and have this create the ECP Events custom posts?

(3) When submitting the events in the front end of the site, users will need to be able to add associate the Event with a particular Film – i.e. we would populate a dropdown field in the Events submission form with all films from a Films custom post type. Again, could Community Events be manipulated to include additional dynamic fields that would link the Events custom post to our own Film Custom post (potentially using hooks), or would you advise using something like Gravity Forms for the front end film submission?

It would be really useful if you could give us some tips on the best way to achieve all of this – whether we would be best extending ECP and Community Events to achieve this, or whether we’d be better taking another approach.

Many thanks
    Marcus

Casey
    Participant

Pookapro,
    It looks like this is a duplicate thread, so I’ll go ahead and close this one out and continue the conversation on your other thread. Thanks!

Casey
    Participant

Actually, I just realized that this is a separate list of questions, so I’ve reopened the thread. So sorry!

While Community Events is pretty flexible and the templates can be customized quite easily, it wasn’t really built with this level of complex customization in mind. So unless you feel comfortable completely customizing a plugin, then I would probably lean towards building something yourself.

As far as suggesting Gravity Forms for something like this, I’m not familiar enough with the plugin to know if that would the best approach or not.

We do have extensive documentation on all of our plugins, which should hopefully get you started in the right direction.

Hopefully that at least gives you a place to start. Good luck and let me know if you have further questions!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Extending and integrating Event Calendar Pro/Community Events’ is closed to new replies.