Exporting from development site to production site….

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Exporting from development site to production site….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Freeze
    Participant

Howdy, guys. Recently, I asked about how to copy the calendar data from a development site into the production site: https://tri.be/support/forums/topic/moving-eventslocationsorganizers-from-development-server-to-production/#post-852118

I’m ready to do that now, and I was planning to use the standard WP export/import. Your suggestion was: “The first is simply using WordPress’s own XML-based import/export tools (and restrict your export operation to event, venue and organizer post types).”

I thought WP export would let me choose multiple post types for an export operation, but it doesn’t — it’s everything OR a single post type. And I can’t export everything — there’s too much other stuff in the development site not related to the calendar….

My question: if I export the Event, Venue, and Organizer post types in 3 operations, am I going to lose the connection between them when I import them into the production site in separate operations? Not sure how they refer to each other, but if they reference each other with node ids specific to the development site’s database, will those be mixed up when the 3 files are imported in separate operations? Is everything going to match up?

Thanks!
    Dennis

Josh
    Participant

Hey Dennis,

Thanks for following up!

I didn’t realize you could only do a single export using default WordPress tools. A little bit of a bummer in this situation. Learn something new everyday 🙂

That being said, you can import the post types individually. The only reliance is for events on Organizers and Venues since those post types are pulled into the event meta options. So, if you import the Organizers and Venues first and the Events last, you shouldn’t have any issues with missing data.

That being said, I would ensure that you back up before each import in case you need to rollback.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

Dennis Freeze
    Participant

Josh,

Thanks — I expected that Events would be last….

I have to take a few days before I can test this — I was making the switchover tonight, and discovered that I’d forgotten a plugin-specific dependency on the home page. It knocks out most of the home page content, so I can’t just disable it and switch. I’ll have to add some additional fields to events that were being shown on the home page in a special way.

I’ll close the thread now, and just open a new one if I run into something I can’t figure out.

Thanks,
    Dennis

Josh
    Participant

Hey Dennis,

Sounds good! Good luck with the migration as well. I know how stressful those can be sometimes.

Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Exporting from development site to production site….’ is closed to new replies.