Export/import

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Export/import

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sarah

Hi there,

I have a client who’s looking for a (in some respects a little bit complex) events management tool. We’re trying to evaluate whether or not this plugin (which looks great so far) will suit their needs. I think there are two things that may make things difficult.

1. Export. They expect to have a large number of events, and it’s quite critical that they’re able to export all the event data to a csv file. Is there any capacity to do this from within the plugin? (I couldn’t see any.) Failing that, is there a plugin available anywhere that would allow them to do this? I’ve only found very limited options in the WordPress plugin directory, and none of them seem to work with the database structure that Events uses.

2. User-editable events. We’ll be using the Community events plugin to allow website visitors to register their events. However, the organization also want to have an overall map that will show ALL events, and they’d like it if the user-added events would be added to this map. I can create an overall map using the Geo Mashup plugin, but this relies on (I think) the geo data being added from the backend. Is it possible to add integration such that, when users add their events, they’ll be able to submit the geographic data?

Thanks so much for your help!

Joyce Grace

Hello Sarah,
    Unfortunately we don’t have a csv exporter but we do have a way to export calendar events into iCal or Google Calendar. So from there you could find a way to export a csv. We do have a beta csv importer that is in the works, which would allow a person to import a bunch of events from say, Google Calendar or iCal. If you’d like a copy to play around with, you can e-mail us at pro /at/ tri.be to request it (but do keep in mind it is still in beta, so not perfect yet).

About Question 2, this goes beyond my technical ability, so I am going to have someone else look into this for you. However, I can say that the Community Events add-on does have a way for users to be able to submit events without approval. You can have “anonymous” submissions of events and also “subscriber” submissions. So if they add the location to the event they submitted, I don’t see why this wouldn’t show up on the overall map you plan to create. Not sure if that answers your question!

Thanks for your patience!

sarah

Hi Joyce,

Thanks for this information. How do I export to iCal? That might be a usable solution, but I can’t find a way to do this so it’s hard to evaluate if it will work or not…

Cheers!

Joyce Grace

Hello Sarah,
    If you write to pro /at/ tri.be I can get you a beta copy of our CSV importer – it is still in the works though.

I looked up the specific answer to this from our FAQs and found this:

“Can I import event data from other calendars like iCal, Google Calendar, Outlook, etc?

Not currently — as it stands, events can go out but can’t come in. We released iCal export support in 1.1.2 with a patch to it in 1.1.3, for both individual events and full calendar. Simple append /ical to the url. (As you’ll see, we added an iCal import button at the bottom of the page). Google Calendar export exists and is functional as of release 1.2 as well. Exporting from Outlook is not supported at this time but may arrive in a future release. As for the broader question of importing, that’s still open for discussion but we have no plans to implement this currently on the books.”

Regarding the map, I found out that unfortunately there isn’t any support right now for the map in the Calendar beyond displaying the location for single events. However, I’ve heard you should be able to pull the addresses from multiple events using our template tags which you can find here: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/documentation

You should also be able to generate a Google map using the Google Maps API without too much trouble, according to our development expert here. He thinks it’s possible and straightforward but not sure how long it would take.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Export/import’ is closed to new replies.