Export events to iCal by category

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Export events to iCal by category

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mikejd
    Participant

I would like to be able to export our events to another website and they have tried this using the iCal export function. But the output does not include categories and I understand this is not possible using iCal. I have searched the forum and found some references to filtering the calendar by category and then exporting but I am not sure how to do this. Is there a button or something to filter the events?
    Is there any other method to achieve this?
    Any advice appreciated.

regards,
    Mike

Casey
    Participant

Mike,
    Thanks for reaching out! The simplest way to achieve this would be to do the following:

1. In the WordPress Dashboard, go to ‘Events->Settings->Display’ and select ‘List’ for your Default view.
    2. Then go to ‘Events->Event Categories’ in the Dashboard, and click ‘View’ underneath the name of the event that you’d like to Export to iCal (screenshot).
    3. Scroll all the way down and you’ll see the iCal button at the bottom of the page (screenshot)
    4. Repeat for other Event Categories

That should do the trick for you, but let me know if I’m misunderstanding something, or if you have further questions. Thanks! 🙂

-Casey-

mikejd
    Participant

Hi Casey,
    Thanks for this advice but it doesn’t quite work as I would like. I need for a third party, who does not have log-in access, to be able to download an iCal file of events by category.
    I found, that if I left the display as ‘month’ and clicked on the category in ‘Events categories’ as you suggest, gave me a month calendar filtered for that category and I could download the iCal file. But my user would not have admin access to select the category. Does that make sense?

Mike

Casey
    Participant

Mike,
    It looks like your best bet would be to install a third-party widget that will allow you to list the Events Category taxonomy. A quick search brought up this one: http://wordpress.org/plugins/list-custom-taxonomy-widget/

After installing that, I configured it in one of my sidebars (screenshot) and it now displays all of my Event Categories on the front-end of my site (screenshot).

Hopefully that will do the trick for you. Thanks! 🙂

-Casey-

mikejd
    Participant

Hi Casey, I can make this work, although it is not the most user friendly. I have no sidebars on the calendar page but the category list does appear on all other pages of the site. So the filtered calendar can be opened from there.

Just another question: You have another plug-in called Filter Bar. Would this do the same thing at the top of the calendar? Obviously this is a premium plug-in which I would have to buy.

Thanks for your help.

regards,
    Mike

Casey
    Participant

Mike,
    Good point! The Filter Bar add-on would definitely allow you to do that (screenshot). Feel free to give that a shot and let me know if you have further questions. Thanks! 🙂

-Casey-

Casey
    Participant

Thanks for confirming that this got you sorted. Since it looks like you’re all set, I’m going to mark this thread “Answered” and close it out.

By the way, if you have a minute or two, we would love it if you’d write a few words for us here: http://m.tri.be/jw

Thanks in advance. 🙂

Cheers,
    Casey

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Export events to iCal by category’ is closed to new replies.