Events with Hide from Event Listings checked stilll displaying in widget

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Events with Hide from Event Listings checked stilll displaying in widget

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    franglers
    Participant

I finally have a need for a hidden event, and when I published it, to my surprise it showed up when clicking from the current month to the next month in the calendar widget. It looks like this was supposed to have been addressed in 3.11.1 so I updated to 3.11.2 but I am still seeing the event displayed in the calendar widget (the day in the calendar isn’t highlighted like there is an event, but it shows up in the event list under the calendar)

Admins: Click the calendar widget over to Sept. on the homepage and look for the secret sale in the listing.

George
    Participant

Sorry this didn’t remain hidden for you, @franglers! Hm. We did, indeed, make some fixes related to event privacy in our recent updates.

I’m curious, can you clarify exactly what you mean by our description of things here:

I finally have a need for a hidden event, and when I published it

Specifically:

1. How did you make it hidden? What were the specific things you checked or did in your admin edit screen for the event to say “this event is private”?

2. When you published it, did any of the settings you set in #1 here change?

This information will be helpful so I can try to recreate this problem exactly. Thank you in advance for the info!

โ€” George

franglers
    Participant

Hey George,
    When I say I made it private, I ticked the checkbox that says “Hide from Event Listings” for that event. I basically don’t want the event to show up in the calendar or in any event listings, but want to be able to send the event URL to a select group of people. So it doesn’t need to be fully private/password protected, just needs to be out of plain sight.

I went back and double checked and that checkbox is still checked for the event. It’s hidden from any normal event view whether calendar or listing etc, it’s only showing up in the widget event listing that is associated with the Pro Calendar Widget (which we use on the homepage)

George
    Participant

Hey @franglers,

There are unfortunately two levels to this problem. First is what you’re looking for here:

I basically donโ€™t want the event to show up in the calendar or in any event listings, but want to be able to send the event URL to a select group of people.

There’s unfortunately not really a way for an event to exist like this โ€“ย it seems like making a super-simple password and then password-protecting the event post is the best way to go here. The only other option for having an event this linkable to from the outside world, but only visible to some people, is to just leave it totally private and ensure that all the people who can see it are registered users inside your site…not ideal either way, unfortunately ๐Ÿ™

Secondly, there turns out to indeed be an issue with our own handling of things in our code. I was able to reproduce your behavior here intermittently โ€“ย we did fix this in the previous release, but something else is happening now, so I’ve made a developer ticket and hopefully we’ll get a fix out for this in the release after next (the next release is coming Very, very soon, unfortunately, so it is in “code freeze” right now while all our testing and QA is happening before launching).

Let me know what you think about this information here โ€“ย I’m sorry that much of it isn’t very good news ๐Ÿ™

Sincerely,
    George

franglers
    Participant

Hi George,
    thanks for the reply. Your system is basically working as I need and how I would expect. When I click the “Hide from Event Listings” it makes it so the event does not show up in the main event calendar on the public side, or in any of the widgets (this is where the problem is right now) If I know what the URL is I can go directly to that URL and still see the event details. So it’s in no way secure, but through obfuscation, it’s not something people are going to find on their own unless I’ve sent them the link.

I understand the code freeze issue, so if you would be willing to share code as you develop it, I would have no problem making some temporary changes until you can get it into your next release cycle.

Thanks!
    Erik

George
    Participant

Erik, your patience and politeness here is greatly appreciated โ€“ย it means a lot. We do often share early Release Candidates ahead of “official” releases, so stay tuned to our blog here for when we post those โ†’ http://theeventscalendar.com/blog

I’m sorry that there isn’t an ideal solution for your needs at this time, but am glad that you have a somewhat-usable alternative you can use for now.

I’ll close this thread for now but please don’t hesitate to open new threads here any time if other questions/comments/concerns arise.

Cheers! And stay tuned to product updates! ๐Ÿ™‚
    George

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Events with Hide from Event Listings checked stilll displaying in widget’ is closed to new replies.