Events Timing Out During Set-up

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Events Timing Out During Set-up

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joelle
    Participant

Hello! My client was having trouble with her calendar running really slowly and timing out in some cases. Her host support did some troubleshooting and found some information they wanted me to share with you. It’s a little beyond my scope, but I figured I’d pass it on in case it’s helpful in the next or future releases.

…with the events, we found in cases where we used a lot of recurring event features… the saving slowed down to a slug. In some cases even times out. Here’s what seems to be going on.. whenever the recurring feature is used and you’re also adding a featured image and using exclusions for events at the same time, the plugin does seem to do some extra background magic to make it recur and then saves it. It also saves two different “variants” of the event… the single event for that day.. which it saves a new copy of each time, and the “all” event which you can edit to make global changes. The more often the recurring frequency, the slower the save is.

What would rectify the problem is if the plugin developers performed the extra recurring logic in the background after the post is saved (using wp-cron or equivalent) and this would prevent it from being so slow and hogging a ton of memory all at once. You can forward that feedback to them for improving the product. The fact that posts or saving anything is slow after that is just a side effect.. due to the excessive CPU and memory being used from editing multiple events at once, it takes some time for servers to ease off and allocate more resources to you.

Thoughts? 🙂

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi there,

Can you also try testing for conflicts with your theme and other plugins? If you would prefer not to do this on your live site, WP Staging will let you create a quick copy of your live site that you can use for testing. Let me know what you find!

Thanks,
    Brendan

Joelle
    Participant

Thanks. 🙂 We actually did that already. That’s always the first step in
    troubleshooting.

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi there,

In regards to having recurring events perform operations in the background, not sure if that is something they can do but its definitely something you can request at uservoice. If you have a minute, can you please post this request in our Feature Ideas Forum? This is what we use to gauge user interest in new features and help guide future development efforts.

Also be sure to check out our performance consideration page to see if there is something else that can be done to speed up the customer’s site.

Thanks,
    Brendan

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Events Timing Out During Set-up’ is closed to new replies.