Events Showing Up in SummerStage Category Listing that Shouldn't Be

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Events Showing Up in SummerStage Category Listing that Shouldn't Be

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cityparksfoundation
    Participant

Hello – It’s Stephanie again. I hope you guys are doing well and having a nice Spring.

We’re having an issue with events categorized in SummerStage Kids showing up in the SummerStage category list, which we do not want:

http://cityparksfoundation.org/events/category/summerstage/page/4/

If you click on any of those SummerStage Kids events, you’ll see they are not categorized in SummerStage. Is there something I can do to eliminate SummerStage Kids events from the SummerStage listing?

Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification.

Thanks!
    Stephanie

George
    Participant

Hey Stephanie!

Thanks for the kind words, hopefully you’re having a nice Spring as well 🙂

I’m sorry for some of the frustration you’ve undoubtedly had related to this issue, but it seems like it might be a fairly simple one to solve.

I could be wrong, but it appears that your “Summerstage Kids” category is working correctly, but is actually also a sub-category of the main “Summerstage” category.

Is this intentional? If you’re not even 100% certain about what I’m referring to here, what I mean is that in WordPress, categories (and Event Categories, too) can have “child” categories. For example, if you had a category called “Music”, you could have “Child” categories related to it like “Classical”, “Blues”, “Rock”, etc.

If you know all this and have Summerstage Kids intentionally configured as a child category of “Summerstage”, then unfortunately, the way WordPress works it will keep showing up in the parent “Summerstage” category pages. To remove that you’d have to make “Summerstage” and “Summerstage Kids” both separate parent categories, and not have the latter be a child of the former.

You can see if a category is a child of another by going to Events > Event Categories in your admin area. Look for Summerstage Kids – if it’s a child of Summerstage, it will be indented with a dash in front of it, like the music genres underneath “Music” in my screenshot here → https://cloudup.com/cR2nHZQbHYM

If you click “Edit” for the category, you’ll be able to separate it from the parent category and save your changes. Then, go to Settings > Permalinks in your admin, click “Save Changes” without actually changing anything (this just refreshes the permalinks across your site), and check out your category pages again.

I hope this helps! Let us know what you think.

Thanks,
    George

cityparksfoundation
    Participant

Welp, I sure love starting the day feeling like an idiot. Yes, that’s exactly what happened. I set up the categories not knowing at the time that SS Kids was a totally separate entity (who knew?!). Thanks so much for serving as Captian Obvious for me.

I hope you have a great long weekend – after dealing with stupid questions like mine, you deserve it! 🙂

Thanks!
    Stephanie

George
    Participant

Your question is genuinely not stupid at all Stephanie – I’m a “professional” at this, and recently made a similar mistake with a custom taxonomy that works similarly to the issue I explained here. It’s an easy mistake to make!

Best of luck with your site 🙂

George

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Events Showing Up in SummerStage Category Listing that Shouldn't Be’ is closed to new replies.