Events search "near" limited list of known cities

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Events search "near" limited list of known cities

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Udo

I tried out the “near” location search on the demo server, and it seems the list of known locations is very limited.

What I found is that the list of major cities seems fairly complete in the US and UK, but Germany and France are limited to only Berlin and Paris, respectively. Same in some other countries I checked – only capitals listed.

Needless to say, this makes the entire feature useless for international use.

Am I missing something? Can this be fixed?

Thanks
    Udo

Geoff

Hello Udo, thanks for getting in touch!

The important thing to note about the Search Near feature is that it auto-suggests locations only if there some ambiguity to the query. For example, a search of Springfield will prompt a choice of locations since that could match multiple locations. On the flip side, searching for Seattle will produce no suggestions because there is only one location with that name.

Another key thing to point out is that results are bound by a search distance limit that is specified in Events > Settings > General. So, let’s say you try searching by location (whether it was auto-suggested or not), no results will display if there are no events within that defined radius.

All that to say that the feature does work as expected, even if locations are not suggested–those suggested locations are just more ambiguous than the ones that are not suggested. 🙂

Cheers!
    Geoff

Geoff

Thanks for confirming the answer, Udo! Please feel free to hit us up with a new thread if any other questions pop up. 🙂

Geoff

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Events search "near" limited list of known cities’ is closed to new replies.