Events not appearing in Genesis Blog Loop with other posts

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Events not appearing in Genesis Blog Loop with other posts

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    customerpath
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve had to duplicate events as stand-alone posts as the Events Calendar Pro has not added these events to the blog loop. I’ve added the extension but still, no events are shown.

The posts I’ve manually added are located here: http://109.199.119.244/~localsce/u3a.com.au/2018/05/

Sky
    Keymaster

Hi there!

Thanks for reaching out! I’m sorry to hear that you’re having issues with the events showing up in your main post feed. I will try to help figure out the problem.

Can you tell me what you have set for Events > Settings > “Include events in main blog loop”? This should be checked.

Actually, taking a look at your events page, I don’t see any events. Are you sure there is some future events scheduled, and that they are published? Can you provide a link to one of these events?

Thanks,
    Sky

customerpath
    Participant

Hi Sky,

We will have to leave this case open for the moment as I have a problem that happened after I noticed the posts were not added to the loop and that is, SiteGround crashed and the site’s is reporting the parent theme is not installed properly.

I’ll get the theme thing fixed and then I’ll get back to you so we can sort out the Calendar Pro plugin.

Sky
    Keymaster

Hi again,

Ok, thanks for the update. Please let me know when you get things back up and running.

Thanks,
    Sky

customerpath
    Participant

Hi Sky,

The theme issues have been resolved.

I’ve recorded this Loom video to quickly explain the issue and what I’ve done on the site, https://www.useloom.com/share/700fc51289344c1e8e12f7df26102f0c

If we make this case private I’m happy to provide you with the password and username details for the backend admin.

Cheers,
    Ian

Sky
    Keymaster

Hi Ian!

Thanks for the screencast! That shows everything I needed to know about how you have it set up.

I see that you are using an extension called “main blog loop?” Can you try this without that extension enabled and see if the events show up at all? They may be ordered by the publish date instead of the event date.

I just tried this on my local test install without the extension, and it is working as expected. If disabling that plugin doesn’t help in your case, can you try temporarily switching to the Twenty Seventeen theme and see if that changes anything? It’s possible that your theme may be doing something in a non standard way that prevents it from working properly.

Let me know how that goes!

Thanks,
    Sky

customerpath
    Participant

I’ve removed that extension and that didn’t work.

Switching between Genesis and Twenty Seventeen, is that easy? I remember doing this once before and the Genesis child theme was not there to go back to?

customerpath
    Participant

I’ve changed the theme back to Twenty Seventeen and none of the older events from May are showing, only the new event I added this morning.

https://www.useloom.com/share/e7fe62ea41e34ef789b0eeedf0296c28

Sky
    Keymaster

Hi again,

In your video, you are on a page named “blog.” However, the event you reference there is in a widget area, and there is no content or feed showing on the page. The events widget is a completely different thing than the blog feed. It looks like you don’t actually have the page “blog” set as your posts page in the WordPress settings.

I can see your actual posts feed by visiting http://109.199.119.244/~localsce/u3a.com.au/

This is where you should be looking for the events to show up.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have more questions about this.

Thanks,
    Sky

customerpath
    Participant

Ok, so my problem is, Genesis is using a widgetised home page. I’ able to show blog posts by creating a page and choosing the blog template but the posts from the Events Calendar Pro plugin are now showing in the blog loop with the other blog posts.

How do I get the events to show on that blog page with the other blog posts that are present there?

Sky
    Keymaster

Hi again,

I’m not sure if understand your question completely. You say that the events are showing in the blog loop, but are asking how to get the events to show there?

Here’s how the built in functionality works:

When enabling “Include events in main blog loop” the events will display in the main blog loop that shows on whatever page you have set in your WordPress Settings under “posts page” or your homepage if set to display “your latest posts.”

If you are creating another page to show posts using a plugin or creating the template manually, you would need to define the desired post types to show within the query. You can read more about custom queries on the WordPress Developer Resources page for the WP_Query class: https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/classes/wp_query/

Let me know if this answers your question.

Thanks,
    Sky

customerpath
    Participant

Thanks for your reply Nick but I put the same question forward to Genesis in hope that they could help as my deadline for finishing this job is getting closer and they were able to provide the code that has fixed the issue.

By the way, the option to add events to the main blog loop does not work on most Genesis themes but here is the fix if anyone else gets stuck with the same issue.

Genesis Support Response, which was awesome and solved my problem.

>>>>

The Genesis Blog template uses a custom query that won’t be affected by the “include events in main blog loop” setting from The Events Calendar, as you’ve found.

To display events in the blog template, you’d need to filter the custom query to also include the events custom post type. You could add this to News Pro’s functions.php:

add_filter( ‘genesis_custom_loop_args’, ‘custom_include_events’ );
    function custom_include_events( $args ) {
    if ( is_page_template( ‘page_blog.php’ ) ) {
    $args[‘post_type’] = [ ‘post’, ‘tribe_events’ ];
    }

return $args;
    }

>>> End Genesis Support Response

Sky
    Keymaster

Hi again,

Glad you were able to find a solution for your problem! Thanks for sharing the code with everyone.

Please let us know if you have any questions or issues in the future.

Thanks,
    Sky

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Events not appearing in Genesis Blog Loop with other posts’ is closed to new replies.