Events "near" the user?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Events "near" the user?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    david.longdon
    Participant

I’m creating a calendar of events in the Pacific Northwest. I’m using [tribe_mini_calendar] on the home page.

By default, I’d like users to only see events “near” them–by say setting a default distance from their postal code–both on the homepage and the main calendar.

Is there a way to do this?

Cliff

Hi, David.

Please specify how you know someone’s postal code.

Also, FYI, the Tribe Mini Calendar shortcode or widget wouldn’t be what’s displayed for such a query, assuming you’re using the Tribe Bar.

david.longdon
    Participant

I assume this would be based on IP address, not postal code.

I’m building a regional events calendar that includes bike rides and running races from British Columbia to Northern California and east to Idaho, Montana, Utah. By default I’d like my users to see events that are near them, then chronological. Is there a way to set this up?

I’m not clear on the FYI. I’m using [tribe_mini_calendar] on the home page. I experimented with the other options and [tribe_mini_calendar] gave the best visual results…

Thanks!

Cliff

You initially said, “default distance from their postal code” so that’s why I wanted to confirm.

I believe you’re requesting the same thing as one of our existing feature requests: https://tribe.uservoice.com/forums/195723-feature-ideas/suggestions/13195095-map-view-option-to-automatically-list-events-nea

Please do add your vote there.

This allows us to gauge interest in this particular feature request, which helps us prioritize our development efforts.

===

The FYI was to let you know that if you were to enter a location in the “Near” search field in the Tribe Bar, it would display one of the main views, not a widget or shortcode view.

david.longdon
    Participant

Thanks! I voted. How many votes does an item need to get developed?

Cliff

There’s no requirement. We have internal plans and strategy that are influenced by the votes and comments (use cases shared in the comments). Therefore, an idea with 10 votes might get implemented sooner than an idea with 200 votes because it was already on our to-do list (coincidental) or because it fits in (maybe a use case we didn’t think of but we can quick-adapt to accommodate it).

Therefore, it’s an influence but there’s no bar set for “if it gets X-number of votes, it’ll be implemented within Y-number of months.”

If you need it implemented sooner-than-later, you may want to hire your developer or reference our list of known customizers.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Events "near" the user?’ is closed to new replies.