Events Import does not like apostrophe, strips text after it

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Events Import does not like apostrophe, strips text after it

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    screenrage
    Participant

Not sure if this was reported by anyone but when you import Events that contain an apostrophe in the event title or event description the import strips the rest of the characters following the apostrophe and does not import it.

For example:

Event Title: Joe’s Pizza Party
    When imported the event title says: Joe
    Everything after Joe’ is stripped.

Same thing happens with Descriptions, sometimes I’ll have a whole paragraph in the description and somewhere it has an apostrophe which will cause everything after it to be missed from the import.

This may be happening with other special characters although apostrophe is certainly not a special character by any means.

thanks

screenrage
    Participant

This also happens if the word Cafe is used with the tilde above the E.

Barry

Hi screenrage,

I seem to recall a few reports of problems like this in the past – but each time the problem was that the CSV file (I’m assuming this does indeed relate to CSV import 🙂 ) was not saved in UTF-8 format, which is a requirement.

Would you be able to double check on that, or else try opening it up in a suitable text editor/some other application you are familiar with and re-save it – making sure it saves the file using UTF-8 encoding? Does that help at all?

screenrage
    Participant

I will check. Unfortunately MS Excel (the most widely used spreadsheet program) DOES NOT support UTF-8.

It does support UTF-16, so any chance you can make the import compatible with it? from what I understand UTF-16 is a subset of UTF8 correct?

thanks,

Barry

We’d be open to considering that and I’ll log an issue to ensure we don’t forget to evaluate this – perhaps in the meantime you could use a conversion utility? I believe we link to one from the CSV import admin screen.

Would that help in the interim?

Barry

Hi!

It’s been a while so I’m going to go ahead and close this topic.

• Need help with anything else? Go right ahead and post a new topic, one of the team will be only too happy to help
    • Still need help with this issue and need to re-open it? Again, please simply create a new topic and link to this one to provide the team with some context

Thanks!

Leah

Hello!

I’m happy to report that we have been working on this feature for our upcoming 4.2 release. The new features for each of our plugins are currently being tested by our QA team and by our beta testers. Soon we’ll be putting the finishing touches on the code and then shipping the new versions out to our lovely customers.

Thank you for your patience while we worked on this. We appreciate your support! Keep an eye out for version 4.2 coming your way in the coming weeks.

Cheers,
    Leah
    and The Events Calendar team

Geoff

Hey @screenrage! I want to reach out to let you know that we did just ship this feature in 4.2 this week. Please check out the latest version when you have a change (and do check out the release notes for more important info on updating) and thanks for you support while we worked on this.

Cheers and have a great weekend!
    Geoff

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Events Import does not like apostrophe, strips text after it’ is closed to new replies.