Events Calendar won't populate on Primary Sidebar

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Events Calendar won't populate on Primary Sidebar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Dan
    Participant

Sidebar events were fine until this morning. No additional updates have been installed.
    I have deactivated all plugins, switched to the twenty-thirteen theme, cleared cache and still have the issue.

I loaded the upcoming events widget and it throws errors. at the primary sidebar.

This is disconcerting.

George
    Participant

Hey Dan,

Sorry about your troubles here. If you head to line and file of reported in those errors on your sidebar, do you indeed find what the error is reporting – an empty instance of the PHP include() function?

If so, that would be quite odd, but it could have accidentally gotten in there from some customizations or, who knows, a mix-up of files when uploading or something.

If you don’t find such code, that could indicate some other interesting possible problems here, and we can continue investigating from there…

Let us know what you find!

Thanks,
    George

Dan
    Participant

This reply is private.

Dan
    Participant

This reply is private.

Dan
    Participant

This reply is private.

George
    Participant

Hey Dan,

We are indeed helping you here, and will continue to do so until we can hopefully get your site working correctly.

As for the login information, I removed both sets of information you posted as soon as I saw them here, and will not be logging into your site – nobody on the Tribe will. We cannot log into customer sites for security reasons.

There seems to be a few possible culprits for your issues here – first is that somehow either the widget() or widget_output() methods of the list widget class are being called with their third function argument set to . Other things I can think of here would be a permissions error on your server preventing access to the file, or a theme or plugin conflict.

Since you said you already testing your theme and plugins, I think first we should figure out if you’ve added custom code or changed any code anywhere at any time on your site? If so, please remove that custom code and see if things change at all.

If not, then next we should turn to server permissions to at least rule it out as a possibility here: ensure that your server’s permissions are set to 755 recursively, with all directories (or at least all WordPress-specific ones) owned by the web server.

If you’re not sure how to check for this and how to change it yourself, contact your web hosting support for help here, they should be able to ensure this very quickly.

Let us know if this helps at all!

Thanks,
    George

Dan
    Participant

Thanks George,

I have used code to hide various pieces of display;

the following;

//hide Karma Counter when sections use PHP echo pl_karma( $post->ID ); instead of the <span class=”pl-social-icon”><i class=”icon icon-sun”></i></span> <span class=”pl-social-count”>0</span> shortcode
    .pl-karma.pl-social-counter.pl-social-pagelines {
    display: none;
    }

.metabar { display: none }

.pl-new-loop .metahead {
    }

#site .masonic-nav {
    }

However – the site operated fine with these inclusions and hasn’t become usable again with their deletion.

Also – my installation is in the Public_Html directory – confirm you want me to recursively change all permissions there to 755 to test?

Again – this site operated fine until two days ago with no changes by my hand – and suddenly two days ago the calendar disappeared from the primary sidebar and an installation of the upcoming events enabled in order to test threw the error noted.

If I completely re-install the calendar will I lose all my customizations?

George
    Participant

Hi Dan,

If the only customizations you’ve made are CSS customizations, then you do not need to remove them.

As for the permissions-resetting – yes, you should ensure that all the WordPress-related directories within Public_Html are set to 755 recursively, owned by the webserver, especially the /wp-content directory.

As for the issues only recently appearing, this is indeed a bit odd and I can understand why it would frustrate you. I can’t think of anything from the plugin itself that would lead to such an oddly-timed appearance of issues like this, so it could be something related to an operation performed by your server or something initiated by another plugin or your theme.

Finally, if all your customizations are custom CSS, then it is possible that updating things on your site could cause you to lose those changes. Your best bet is to backup everything, and more specifically, you can even just copy and paste code that you’ve written so far and then manually add it back where you lose it if you do, indeed, lose it after re-installing things.

Does the information here help?

— George

Dan
    Participant

Yes, it does. My question is – if I delete and then re-install events calendar pro – will I lose my data, IE the classes already entered?

Dan
    Participant

Hello. No luck with any of this. The issue persists.

Dan
    Participant

I have disabled and uninstalled each plugin from this site. Cleared cache, changed permissions, re-installed wordpress 4.1.1 and re-enabled calendar-pro. No change.

I am reluctant to DELETE the calendar pro plug in because I don’t want to lose all the data already scheduled. Also, what’s to say this won’t break down the road?

Dan
    Participant

I now notice in the WordPress Plugins area that your plugin is not tested as compatible with wordpress 4.1.1

Is this the issue? likely.

Please let me know how I can go about getting a refund so that I can install a solution that is kept up to date.

George
    Participant

Hey Dan,

The most recent versions of both The Events Calendar and Events Calendar PRO are indeed compatible with WordPress 4.1.1 – though PRO is not hosted on WordPress.org, here’s a screenshot of the compatibility information for the free version → https://cloudup.com/caoBgpBbTTN

I apologize for the delayed response time here Dan, we usually try to get all replies in under 24 hours.

If you are indeed still interested in a refund, you can send an email with a copy of your original purchase receipt to [email protected], and we’ll take care of you from there.

However, one thing I’d like to point out is that deleting and reinstalling a version of The Events Calendar, or any add-on like Events Calendar PRO, will not erase existing events.

Let us know if this is helpful and if you’d like to try giving the plugin another shot – we indeed do update our code very frequently, and have a large team of developers working quite hard on this software. It means a lot to us and the vast majority of customers are able to use the plugin with ease, though as is the nature of things random issues like yours will indeed pop up here and there. I’m sorry you happened to run into issues, and understand how frustrating that can be – but if you’re willing to give the software another shot, and have faith in us here on the support team to help you as much as we can, you might be pleasantly surprised 🙂

No hard feelings if you’re not willing to do this by now, however – like I said, we truly do understand what it’s like to be frustrated with software…if a refund is your best option here, follow the steps I described above and we’ll take care of things from there over email.

Whichever you decide, let us know here in the forums! I appreciate your patience so far and would love to see things working on your site.

Cheers,
    George

Dan
    Participant

Thanks for this George. I’ll try deleting the plugin and reinstalling. I am so impressed with the functionality of this – I don’t want to try another solution. I understand the complexity of design and the reaction of plugins to each other.

I’ll keep trying.

George
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words and your patience Dan, let us know what you find!

Cheers,
    George

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Events Calendar won't populate on Primary Sidebar’ is closed to new replies.