Events after November 6th (Daylight Saving) appear an hour later

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Events after November 6th (Daylight Saving) appear an hour later

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Flexible Systems
    Participant

We have noticed that when viewing the events calendar, all events after November 6th (the end of daylight saving) are pushed back an hour later then they are supposed to be.

So for example if we have an event that is set to occur every Tuesday at 7 p.m., starting on and after November 6th, the event will occur an hour later at 8 p.m.

Not sure what is causing this but is there a way that we can fix it so that these events have the correct time being displayed?

Cliff

Hi Ariela.

Unfortunately, this issue has cropped up for several users.

I see you have your WordPress Timezone set to America/New_York (a location-based timezone instead of a manual UTC offset), which is the correct setting for DST to be handled properly.

I’ll mark this ticket as Pending Fix, which means this thread should receive a reply once the applicable fix has been released. I cannot guarantee when it will be fixed as it’s in the development team’s hands now. They need to assign it, code it, test it, and schedule it for release.

I apologize for this issue and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Flexible Systems
    Participant

Just wanted to follow up on this and see when you expect a fix for this problem to be available? It is causing significant problems for our client.

We used your PRO plugin for their events calendar and they have events scheduled well into next year. With daylight savings being less than a month away they are starting to have problems with their users seeing incorrect times on the calendar for events taking place after 11/6.

Cliff

Ariela, I am sincerely sorry this bug is causing such trouble. I have passed along your reply to our management to express the importance of this fix.

We don’t provide ETAs, but I can say that it’s scheduled for an upcoming bug fix (i.e. it’s not in no-man’s land awaiting a “someday” fix).

I’ll leave this thread open for the eventual reply to notify you once this bug fix is released.

Flexible Systems
    Participant

Any updates on this? This bug is causing significant problems for our client and they need to have a fix by next week in order to avoid users showing up at their events after November 6th at the wrong time.

Since this appears to be a problem with the core functionality of the plugin we are surprised a patch hasn’t been released by now, with daylight savings less than a month away. :/

Cliff

Ariela, I feel your pain and apologize for this issue.

The bug was discovered/reported later than ideal (just over 2 weeks ago) and is estimated to take quite a while to fix (with all the logic and testing required)… but I’ve advocated with our development/strategy team and they definitely understand and appreciated the extra nudge.

As I understand it, it’s expected to be fixed before DST ends, but they know the-sooner-the-better.

Again, this thread will get an update once the fix is released.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Flexible Systems
    Participant

Hello. Any news on this issue? Do you know yet when a fix will be released? Thanks for your help!

Cliff

At this point, I believe it should make it in our next release on or about November 2. We normally don’t give such precise estimates (and I cannot guarantee this date) but I know this is a very time-sensitive bug. I hope it works well for you once released. Thanks for your patience.

Geoff

Hi Ariela.

We wanted to let you know that we were unable to get a fix for this issue in the latest maintenance release that we shipped this week. Our team did spend a considerable amount of time looking into the issue of Daylight Savings Time not being taken into consideration with an iCal file export but were unable to replicate the issue after many repeated and individual tests.

We are still interested in pinpointing why the behavior exists in this case but it will take some more digging to properly diagnose whether the issue exists in all cases before we can plan a release for a solution.

In the meantime, we would really appreciate it if you would update your plugins to the latest versions and test whether the issue persists. If it does, then it would be great if you could run through the steps outlined in this guide and let us know if you notice and difference in behavior when your site (or a separate test site, ideally) is in a default WordPress environment.

Thanks so much for bearing with us while we work on this together.

Geoff

Flexible Systems
    Participant

Thanks for the update Geoff. The iCal file export was not the issue though. The problem is that when a recurring event is created the time displayed on the WordPress site itself is incorrect after daylight savings.

Cliff

Ariela, sorry for the mixup there. This thread was assigned to a bug that we ultimately couldn’t reproduce and therefore these follow-up notifications from Geoff came through. Although the content of his message (regarding iCal file export) wasn’t applicable to this thread, the result is the same: we tried to reproduce several different DST-related bugs that you and 7 other threads reported but we realized they weren’t all the same bug and we weren’t able to reproduce your bug.

All that being said, I know this isn’t pleasant news and I apologize for the miscommunication. I can confirm, though, that multiple team members worked on this, including myself, and so I know a lot of effort went into trying to reproduce and discover any and all DST-related bugs but we weren’t able to on our vanilla setups with WordPress, our plugins, and Twenty Sixteen theme. We tried multiple time zone settings and were eager to reproduce it because it’s a nasty result, but we weren’t able to.

Therefore, to move forward, please provide step-by-step instructions on a fresh install of WordPress, TEC, TEC PRO, and Twenty Sixteen. If we can reproduce it, we will surely fix it. Thanks for your understanding and effort here. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Flexible Systems
    Participant

Thanks for your reply Cliff. I’m surprised you haven’t been able to replicate the issue – would you be willing to take a look at the WordPress installation where we are seeing it?

We have verified that all of the settings are correct and the plugin is working perfectly except that recurring events display the wrong time after daylight savings. For now we have implemented a work around where we stop a recurring event the day before daylight savings, then recreate it after daylight savings. But the issue still persists for recurring events that go into Spring when the next daylight savings period begins.

Cliff

We strongly prefer not to login to anyone’s site. Please share your current System Information.

Please also provide a .zip copy of your parent and child themes.

Make sure to set it to a Private Reply.

We’ll start there to see if we can replicate the issue. Thanks for your efforts here.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘Events after November 6th (Daylight Saving) appear an hour later’ is closed to new replies.