Events admin loading slowly in backend.

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Events admin loading slowly in backend.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Cheryl
    Participant

Our client has complained about very slow load times for the Events tab in the WP admin back-end. Sometimes it won’t load at all and he gets an internal server error. He does have a rather slow internet connection. Also, we have a lot of recurring events, and some are set up for over a year. Is there any way to limit the amount of recurring events that can be generated or otherwise control the number of events?

Barry

Hi Cheryl. Are you able to login to your client’s site and get a feel for whether or not it is unusually slow (so as to eliminate the possibility that this is just due to a slow internet connection at the client’s end)?

The thing with performance issues is that there are a lot of factors to consider – the amount of traffic, the server capacity, what additional plugins/themes are running etc – of course if you have a huge number of events, recurring or otherwise, that’s going to have some sort of impact. I do know that efforts have been made to further optimize the next major release of The Events Calendar, though.

Also, we have a lot of recurring events, and some are set up for over a year. Is there any way to limit the amount of recurring events that can be generated or otherwise control the number of events?

It’s probably possible, but would require a bit of work to make this happen – there’s nothing really built-in along these lines. What did you have in mind exactly?

Cheryl
    Participant

Hi Barry,
    We have moved our WP database to a ‘less busy’ server according to the host. Hopefully this will help. I wanted to check with you and see if you might have suggestions or guidelines regarding these long-term recurring events because I felt that having these events with over 350 occurrences might not be the best for performance based on posts I’ve read here on the forum. The only idea I had was to maybe limit how far out the end date could go, such as maybe six months from the start date, something like that.

Thanks for your help.

Barry

We don’t really have any guidelines, simply because what one site will handle comfortably another will struggle with. Shared hosting accounts might be sited on a very busy server or they might not be, a VPS could be hosting the site but be totally under-resourced, or it could be a big huge dedicated server but have an overwhelming amount of traffic hitting it … there are so many factors here we just can’t give a one-size-fits-all guide.

I do understand from the developers that there was some sort of performance issue relating to recurring events and this ought to be taken in hand for The Events Calendar (and PRO) 3.0 but beyond that there’s nothing I can suggest for the time being other than that you do a little experimenting – perhaps on a separate testing account – and see how that goes.

I’d love to offer up something more, but at this time of year we are a touch thin on the ground on both the support and developer teams, unfortunately, and I’m not too sure we could get a concrete answer to you in any case.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Events admin loading slowly in backend.’ is closed to new replies.