Event Tickets Plus and Coupons

Home Forums Ticket Products Event Tickets Plus Event Tickets Plus and Coupons

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gail
    Participant

I am using Event Tickets Plus with WooCommerce.

I would like to define a coupon that provides a 10% discount when a user purchases 10 or more tickets for the same event.

When I examined the WooCommerce Coupon configuration, I see that I can define a coupon that provides a 10% discount on a product (event), but I can’t tie it to the number of tickets for that event. I can tie to the minimum cart subtotal, but this can include totals from other events in the cart at the same time. This means that my 10% coupon will apply when a user purchases 9 seats from one event and 1 seat from another, similarly priced event. Yes, the discount only applies to the product for which I define it, but it doesn’t exactly work like I would like. That is, that the discount should only apply when the number of tickets for a specific product is at a threshold.

Is there a way to tell the Coupon configuration to pay attention to the number of tickets for a specific event in the customer’s cart? Or even a subtotal based only on a specific event?

Thank you!

George
    Participant

Hey @Gail,

Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry to bear this news, but at this time the best solution for the sort of discount you are trying to setup here is using the “minimum cart total” parameter in WooCommerce for its coupon codes.

You mention some of the limitations and problems with this:

I can tie to the minimum cart subtotal, but this can include totals from other events in the cart at the same time.

That is definitely true, and I fully admit that this is not a perfect solution. We do not have any better alternatives at this time, though 🙁 I’m sorry about this!

Let me know what you think and if there’s anything else I can try to help with; sorry to bear the bad news here, @Gail.

Sincerely,
    George

Gail
    Participant

Hi. I did mostly solve this problem. In case others are interested, here is what we’re doing.
    1. You can use the WooCommerce Bulk Discount plug-in https://wordpress.org/plugins/woocommerce-bulk-discount/. This lets you assign a discount to products based on the quantity of that specific product. Very simple. No coupons used. If a coupon is applied, then the discount is removed. You can define several layers based on minimum quantities. We are using this for our use case. The disadvantage is that the bulk discount applies immediately and directly and you miss out on possible interaction with the customer when a coupon is applied.

2. If you want to use coupons and you don’t have a lot of different products, you can finely tune how the coupons are applied, so that a specific coupon only applies to a specific product. You can limit its usage by requiring only that product in the cart. It’s rather restrictive this way, but at least you don’t have to worry about another product raising the cart balance and causing the coupon to apply when it shouldn’t. We are going to define several limited-case coupons with very selective scenarios.

3. I’m marking my problem as solved, but it would be better if you could get coupons to work with specific product quantities, especially when the products are events. Sellers are willing to give discounts when groups of people attend the same event (think seminar, courses, conferences, etc.).

George
    Participant

Hey Gail,

I agree with you that having better support for bulk discounts is a great thing; we are working on that, but it will unfortunately take quite some time to fully develop into our codebase 🙁

In the meantime, I’m glad you have a temporary solution for now and appreciate you sharing your solution!

Thank you,
    George

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Event Tickets Plus and Coupons’ is closed to new replies.