Event cost when not associating event with Eventbrite

Home Forums Ticket Products Eventbrite Tickets Event cost when not associating event with Eventbrite

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy

Hi there,

We’ve been using the EC/EC Pro/Eventbrite plugins to much success but came across a small issue that we’re how to best tackle:

The majority of our events are recurring, so obviously we can’t use the Eventbrite API. In order to keep our recurring events showing in the calendar while still properly linking up to Eventbrite, we added a custom meta field for the event’s Eventbrite ID. One thing we noticed, however, is that if the event isn’t associated with Eventbrite, the “Cost” field doesn’t show up.

I see in the documentation that ‘tribe_get_cost’ mentions: “If the event is not registered in eventbrite, and there is meta, return that.” – How can we access this meta data when the Eventbrite plugin is active? Should we simply make a new custom meta field or is there a better solution?

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

Did you try:

echo tribe_get_cost();

Jeremy

Hi Jonah,

Thanks for the response! However, my fault for not being clearer – I meant the WordPress back-end doesn’t show an area where one can place the event cost if
    A. The Evenbrite plugin is turned on
    B. “Register this event with eventbrite.com?” is set to “No”
    This means the function “echo tribe_get_cost();” simply returns nothing because the cost isn’t being filled out.

(Screenshots – Eventbrite plugin disabled: http://pasha-boston.com/event-brite-off.jpg, Eventbrite plugin enabled: http://pasha-boston.com/event-brite-on.jpg)

Again, to reiterate how we went about handling the situation –
    Most of the events being dealt with are recurring and all are registered through Eventbrite. Given that the API can’t handle the recurring events, we made a custom meta field with Events Calendar Pro that calls the Eventbrite event ID.

For example, we have an event that happens every Tuesday and we’ve made a “Buy Tickets” button that uses this URL: http://www.eventbrite.com/event/3258874381?selecteddate=2012-05-29%2022:00:00

The event ID is “3258874381” (filled out from the custom meta field) and the “selecteddate” parameter is being filled out dynamically for each event based on the when the event is happening.

The company doesn’t want to register each event separately – they like having the single Eventbrite page with the drop down date selection – so we can’t “Register this event with eventbrite.com?” set to “Yes” on the recurring events.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks for your help!

Rob

Thanks for the follow-up, Jeremy. We’re having some problems with notifications on the forum here (should have a fix deployed shortly) so I’ve passed this along to Jonah to make sure he saw it. Should be getting you a response here soon.

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Jeremy, my first question is why even use the Eventbrite addon? I’m not entirely sure why we don’t still allow the main plugins cost field to show with the EB addon activated, but it seems like you don’t even need the EB addon…

Jeremy

Hi Jonah,

Apologies for the late response, last week was pretty nuts.

I actually don’t have a great answer for you aside from our own ignorance – originally we thought it was required, then we thought that at least having the addon would help make parts of the process (i.e. adding single events) easier but, given this client’s specific needs, it seems less and less like that’s the case.

Thanks for your time Rob & Jonah. (Heads up, I’ve got one other question but I’ll ask it in the correct forum.)

Jonah
    Participant

Sounds good Jeremy, glad that clarified things. I’ll keep an eye out for the other question.

Thanks,
    Jonah

Michelle
    Participant

Hi I just wanted to confirm here – there’s no way to have the ‘cost’ field showing if the EventBrite plugin is installed? This means effectively that for the user to see a ‘cost’ for the event – each event needs to be registered with Eventbrite. I would like to be able to have some of my events listed on Eventbrite and some not – but the cost still showing on the ones that aren’t listed. Is this possible?
    Thanks.

Jonah
    Participant

Hi Michelle,

The regular ‘cost’ field will still show for events that are not associated with EventBrite but as soon as you associate it, the regular cost field will not be available.

– Jonah

Jonah
    Participant

Sorry all, a correction – with the EB plugin activated, the cost field will not show. This is something we need to fix and will do so in an upcoming version ASAP.

Cheers,
    Jonah

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Event cost when not associating event with Eventbrite’ is closed to new replies.