event calendar shortcode plugin confusion – deleted my pro files?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO event calendar shortcode plugin confusion – deleted my pro files?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    J Reddick
    Participant

I downloaded the calendar shortcodes plugin. I indicated ‘(free)’ next to it. I couldn’t find anything saying it was for use only with the free version, finally assumed it was ‘free’. You need to indicated ‘use only with free version’ or ‘do NOT use with the pro version’.

No offense, but I really think your ‘help’ format sucks. I bought the business pro version and spent the weekend setting up my categories and events and was very pleased. I went to the trouble of downloading and testing your competition, and this plugin is/was superior in many ways.

I was just finishing up with it and saw that I really needed to add the events by category to pages (so I could use the narrative content about the type events at the top, not just the default version). I assumed there had to be shortcodes for that somewhere. You have to know folks will want to take the various displays and add to other pages/posts.

Anyway – my pro version still ‘says’ its active in the plugin list – but the data is gone. I hate to ask a dumb question, but is there any way to retrieve since the pro version still shows installed – or do i deactivate, delete and start from scratch?

Jami
    Blocked

Hi David,

Welcome to the forums! I’m happy to help get things sorted out here. Can you let me know which calendar shortcodes plugin you’ve downloaded? When you said that your data is gone, do you mean that this happened after you activated that shortcodes plugin?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind Regards,
    Jami

J Reddick
    Participant

First the good news – the data isn’t gone.

I downloaded the plugin for event calender shortcodes at https://wordpress.org/plugins/the-events-calendar-shortcode/. “Adds shortcode functionality to The Events Calendar Plugin (Free Version) by Modern Tribe.”

I took it for granted it was the free version of this app, not that it was only to be used on the free version. And I certainly didn’t expect it to download the free version of the calendar plugin with it.
    Never dawned on me that it would be available for the free version and not the paid version! Seems totally backwards.

After I’d deactivated and deleted the free version of calendar and the shortcodes plugin (which installed the free version, creating the problem), I selected ‘settings’ on the pro version and it said I had to ‘install the latest pro version to continue’.

This should read something more like “you must UPDATE your pro version before continuing.”

Small difference, but the other way I interpreted it was literally what it said, which I thought would mean I’d be staring over again.

Rather than wait an undermined amount of time and still having to reenter everything, I figured I would start over. I deleted the original plugin, reuploaded, then got the ‘must update” message again. This time I did it, and voila, all my stuff was back!

We really, really need to be able to use shortcodes!

Thanks
    David

Jami
    Blocked

Hi David,

Thanks for the update! That’s a relief that all of your data is still there. The plugin you linked to appears to have been developed by a 3rd party (it’s not an official Modern Tribe plugin) so they will have a great deal more knowledge about how it’s integrating with The Events Calendar. I do see they’ve noted it’s for the core (free) plugin version and there’s no mention that it’ll work with Pro.

I have some great news though! One of our amazing developers has put together a plugin that will integrate with the Pro version and give you shortcodes to customize the event outputs. It’s called Event Rocket and it’s also free. 🙂

Have a look at the Event Rocket plugin and let me know if it helps.

Kind Regards,
    Jami

J Reddick
    Participant

That is GREAT news. Perfect timing.

On another topic if I can do that here – we’re having problems with the widget. By itself it’s no problem, but the sidebar we created for calendar pages/posts (love the way it creates posts) won’t let us add anything BUT the calendar widget. We have several other elements to add to it. Similarly, we cannot add the calendar widget to other sidebars that have other elements/widgets in them already.

Thanks

J Reddick
    Participant

Just added event rocket and it added the free version of event calendar. both it and my pro version are activated (when I activated event rocket). Is this how it is supposed to work?

Jami
    Blocked

Hi David,

Great to hear that plugin is useful for you! And yes, the core Events Calendar and the Pro version should be activated together.

About the widget problem you’re having, I’m not sure how you’ve created it. Do you mean that you registered a new sidebar area in your theme, or, perhaps that you added the Events Calendar widget to one of your theme templates?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind Regards,
    Jami

Brook
    Participant

Since this topic has gone for a couple of week without an update it is being archived. If you need anything else though please don’t hesitate to open a new topic, we would love to help.

Cheers!

– Brook

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘event calendar shortcode plugin confusion – deleted my pro files?’ is closed to new replies.