Embed hidden events

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Embed hidden events

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    globemedia
    Participant

Hi,

I would like to embed events that have the checkbox “Hide from Event Listings” checked. (they are hidden from the default views, but the URL is still accessible).

Pasting the URL of a ‘hidden’ event into a page/post appears to break the embed functionality. Can you suggest a workaround for this?

Thanks,
    Boris

Geoff

Hi Boris,

I’m afraid that is how the event embed feature is designed to work — if an event is specified as private and to be hidden from the calendar, then it will be designated as such across the board to respect those settings.

I wish I had a workaround for you, but it would be great if you could share the idea over on our feature request forum. I’m interested to see if others would find this useful as well and have it on our radar as something to possibly look into building.

Sorry for the bad news, but does this at least help answer your question? Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Geoff

globemedia
    Participant

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, I’m not referring to setting an event as Private. I’m referring to the Event Options box “Hide from Event Listings”. This option is not meant to duplicate the functionality of making the event’s visibility Private, but just remove it form the default views, yet allow an admin to promote it manually, which embeds are perfect for.

In addition, embedding a “hidden” event, still leaves the event title and link of an attempted embed visible, and the event page is still accessible (it’s not embedding fully, I guess – see attached). Is there any guidance / code that will allow hidden events to embed fully, rather than just partially?

Thanks,

Geoff

Hey Boris, thanks for clarifying!

Interesting. When I try embedding a single event with the “Hide from event listings” option set, it does not embed at all. Here’s a screenshot of what I see where the top URL is the failed embed of a hidden event and the bottom is a non-hidden event, and this is how we would expect it to behave.

I’m interested to see why the title is still embedding for you. I see you noted having tried the following:

• Deactivated all other plugins? Yes
    • Switched to a default theme? Yes

Did you notice a difference in those conditions? How about when you switch to a default WordPress theme and deactivate all other non-Modern Tribe plugins? That should give you the same result I see if the conditions match and we can see where the conflict is from there.

Thanks!
    Geoff

globemedia
    Participant

Hi Geoff,

I should mention that the behaviour I described occurs after I embedded a ‘visible’ event, and later checked off the “Hide from Event Listings” option. Attempting to embed a hidden event from the get-go results in just the URL text. Are you able to replicate this behaviour on your environment?

Anyways, I’m hoping that there might be a line or two of code that I can modify to allow for hidden events to be embeddable. Are you able to offer some guidance on that front?

Thanks,
    Boris

Geoff

Hi Boris,

Ah, I gotcha now. That makes a lot more sense.

Here’s what I tried:

• Creating a new event
    • Embedding it via oEmbed in a WordPress page
    • Viewing the page to confirm the event embeds (screenshot)
    • Editing the event visibility setting from Public to Private
    • Viewing the page to confirm the event embeds (screenshot)

You can see that adding the private version of the event prepends a “Private” label to the title.

I am able to replicate what you’re seeing when I log out of the site though and refresh the page (screenshot). So, it appears that the difference in appearance is the difference between being logged in and logged out of WordPress and having the permissions to view the event.

The funny thing is that the same thing is true of WordPress posts. For example, the same behavior occurs when I embed a WordPress post into a page, move it to Private visibility, then refresh the page.

I ran this by our developers and it appears this is how the feature is supposed to work, but I have gone ahead and opened a ticket in our system to review it further. I mean, it’s consistent with WordPress, but perhaps there is something we can do on our end to make it work a little better regardless and we’ll do that in the ticket. I don’t have a timeframe for when we’ll be able to work on it, but I at least wanted to let you know that it’s something that we think is at least having on the radar as something to look into, regardless of whether it is consistent with WordPress.

Thanks,
    Geoff

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Stuart!

Just wanted to share with you that a new release of our plugins is out, in which we can no longer reproduce the issue described here.

Find out more about this release → https://theeventscalendar.com/maintenance-release-for-the-week-of-27-may-2018/

Please update the plugins and see if it works for you. Don’t hesitate to open a new topic if anything comes up

Best,
    Victor

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Embed hidden events’ is closed to new replies.