"Edit Upcoming" bug for events set to end "Never"

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO "Edit Upcoming" bug for events set to end "Never"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Roe
    Participant

I have a lot of recurring events with no set end date (so I have them set to end “Never”). Sometimes the details of those events get tweaked, however, and I inevitably end up using the “Edit Upcoming” option to set an effective date for the changes, changing only the events going forward in the series from that point. Whenever I do so, however, I’ve found that the original series maintains its end date of “Never”, which means it begins making duplicate events with the outdated information once the calendar populates new future events. I can fix this by manually going back into the original event after making the separation and changing the end date, but it’s still an annoying bug. Thanks!

Josh
    Participant

Hey Benjamin,

This sounds like an interesting issue here.

Unfortunately, this is how the feature is intended to function. When you “Edit Upcoming” you’re essentially creating a second recurring event that is now different than all the events that came before. It’s now as if you have two recurring events created, one set to never and and one with a set end date.

The best approach here would be to edit the event in whole to adjust the recurrence to have an end date. This way you’re not creating the second event and the single recurring event will now have an end to the recurrence.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

Benjamin Roe
    Participant

Hey Josh–

I appreciate the response. I guess I’m just not sure why that intended functionality would ever be preferable. “Edit Upcoming” seems like a useful feature only in so far as it allows you to change the way an event works going forward from a certain date. I know what it’s actually doing behind the scenes, but in practice what it’s useful for doing is changing one or more details about my recurring event beginning with whatever upcoming date I specify. I can’t think of a single example of an ongoing event (set to end “Never”) that would benefit from the original listing mysteriously re-appearing on the calendar after a more-or-less arbitrary number of months. Even if such an event exists, it would seem to be significantly less common than the alternative, and could be just as easily implemented as the current workaround for this issue.

George
    Participant

Your feedback is appreciated, @Benjamin, and we actually tend to agree that a smoother integration of that feature would be better.

At this time, though, it is just not possible inside of our plugins. What Josh described is the current functionality. 🙁

There are no immediately-upcoming changes arriving that will alter this for now. I’m sorry to disappoint!

Let me know what you think and if there are any other issues I can try to help with.

Sincerely,
    George

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘"Edit Upcoming" bug for events set to end "Never"’ is closed to new replies.