Edit link is missing in 3.6

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Edit link is missing in 3.6

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Participant

Hi,

After our recent upgrade from 3.4 to 3.6, the ‘Edit’ link in single event view mode is missing for logged in users. This convenience link is used quite often by our Authors.

I have reproduced the missing ‘Edit’ on a clean WP and TEC/ECP installation. It also doesn’t seem to matter what the user role is. In the 3.4 version, the event page source has <span class=”edit-link”> while 3.6 does not.

Is there a way to restore the edit link feature?

Thank you.

Hi!

Thanks for reaching out to us. I wanted to follow-up and determine if you have made any theme changes in addition to the update from version 3.4 to 3.6. Talking to the team the “edit” link on event pages comes from the Theme and is not defined in The Events Calendar templates.

With this said we could be mistaken and I ran a test of a new install using the Twenty Fourteen theme and both version 3.4 and 3.6.1 don’t show me any edit links for logged in users.

If possible can you confirm that you haven’t made any modifications to your theme? Also could you confirm that version 3.4 shows you the edit link for the Twenty Twelve or Twenty Fourteen theme?

Thanks for your help as we investigate this!

– Matthew

Andrew
    Participant

Hello Matthew,

I also thought that was the case so a clean WP, 2013 theme and 3.6 was setup. It has no custom CSS, mods or other plugins. Still there is no Edit link.

I will try the suggested 3.4 configuration as well.

-Drew

Andrew
    Participant

Matthew,

I tried a few of the configuration test cases you mentioned. Results are here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wc62tgqq0tl72dr/test_cases.txt

The “Default Events Template” appears to be the source of the missing ‘edit link’. Unfortunately, we switched to this template for a more pleasing format. Our older site used the “Default Page Template” where the edit link did render properly.

Can you offer any suggestions for enabling the edit link in a “Default Events Template” configuration?

-Andrew

Andrew
    Participant

After closer inspection of the Default Events Template at default-template.php, I found that adding edit_post_link() just after tribe_get_view() resolves the missing ‘edit link’. I’m just not sure about the parameter list:
    <?php edit_post_link( __( ‘Edit’, ‘tribe’ ), ‘<span class=”edit-link”>’, ‘</span>’ ); ?>

Hi:

By Parameter list i assume you mean the __( ‘Edit’, ‘tribe’) portion of the link?

If so that is for translations and you can leave it defaulted to __(‘Edit’)

Was there other parameters you were concerned with? If so you can read up more about the edit_post_link on the WordPress.org Codex: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/edit_post_link

Hope this helps,

– Matthew

Andrew
    Participant

Matthew,

Thank you the pointer to the codex. The ‘tribe’ parameter was the only item I was unsure about – I now understand its purpose.

With this patch as a good solution for my client, I wonder if it could be added to the Events Calendar core? It would be much easier to manage future TEC/ECP updates. Or perhaps I can create a custom template that resembles the patched “Default Events Template”?

-Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I’m glad that this issue got resolved. You can definitely create your own template for The Events Calendar. We have details on how to do so in our Themer’s Guide. Using the customization tips outlined you can create your own templates for any of the templates that The Events Calendar uses.

Please take a look and if you have any question on creating your own Templates in your theme let us know.

– Matthew

Andrew
    Participant

Hi Matthew,

The custom template in the Guide is the perfect solution. Thanks again for your investigation and suggestions.

-Cheers

Andrew, I’m glad I was able to assist. Thanks for confirming you are all set on this topic. If you have any other questions/concerns feel free to reach back out to us on a separate thread.

– Matthew

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Edit link is missing in 3.6’ is closed to new replies.