Edit all recurring events creates new permalinks

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Edit all recurring events creates new permalinks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant

The “edit all” recurring events functionality is defective.

1) Create a new recurring event with a number of recurring instances. This creates a set of permalinks like this:
    mysite.com/event/my-event/2013-10-22
    mysite.com/event/my-event/2013-10-29
    etc
    2) Now decide that you want to edit some text in all of the recurring events. I open the first event in the editor and the first error presents itself. The event start date and time is wrong (two days prior). If I don’t change it back, my edit will create the event on the wrong days. The plugin editor should show the correct date.
    3) Now add my text and press “update”. In the popup I select “all events.”
    4) Now the events all have a permalink that looks like this
    mysite.com/event/my-event-2/2013-10-22
    mysite.com/event/my-event-2/2013-10-29
    etc
    4) Going to the original URL of mysite.com/event/my-event/2013-10-29 results in a 404

This is disastrous for SEO and social media sharing purposes. The permalink to the event should not change when I edit an event. Existing permalinks should not be destroyed in the process. Please fix ASAP. Making minor edits to a recurring series of events is an obvious use case.

Barry

Hi Kevin,

I can’t actually replicate the very same thing so long as I go to the earliest instance of the event to make the change. However, if I edit (for example) the fourth in the series and apply the change to all then yes that will create a new chain of events – so the 1st-3rd events from the original series become one “chain” and the 4th-onwards a new chain – and they will indeed be given a new slug (which is appropriate, as a new post is generated for them and they are to all intents and purposes separate entities at that point).

Is it possible then that that is what’s happening here – that you are editing something other than the very first event in the series?

Kevin
    Participant

It seems to happen when you open the first instance of the event from outside of wp-admin. For example, go to the event calendar list view, calendar view, etc. Open the single event page for the very first event in the series and choose edit event from the wp-admin bar. Add some text and the update all events. It creates a new slug, even on the first instance.

In addition to this bug, I can’t say that I agree with your design for editing some of the events. Once a WP post is published (event or otherwise), it should have an unchanging, essentially immutable slug. There are very real possibilities that folks have shared a particular URL in RSS, email campaigns, social media, etc. By introducing a new slug and 404’ing the old one, you are creating dead links.

Barry

Hi Kevin,

It seems to happen when you open the first instance of the event from outside of wp-admin. For example, go to the event calendar list view, calendar view, etc. Open the single event page for the very first event in the series and choose edit event from the wp-admin bar. Add some text and the update all events. It creates a new slug, even on the first instance.

I’m afraid I still cannot replicate this even following these steps. When you opened this thread you indicated that you had tried deactivating all other plugins and reverting to a default, unmodified theme: did that have any bearing on this process?

It isn’t something I’ve seen reported before and I am unable to replicate under default conditions on more than one test installation.

Once a WP post is published (event or otherwise), it should have an unchanging, essentially immutable slug. There are very real possibilities that folks have shared a particular URL in RSS, email campaigns, social media, etc. By introducing a new slug and 404′ing the old one, you are creating dead links.

Generally I’d agree. What happens ordinarily though is that a new slug is created only if the chain of events has to be broken in two: if you make an edit that causes this to happen then that’s effectively a conscious decision to create a second recurring event that happens to share some amount of details with the original.

We could probably make this clearer, however, and I’ll definitely make a note for us to discuss possible strategies here.

Kevin
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

Hi Kevin,

I’d need your help to ensure all other plugins are deactivated: for testing purposes, can you remove the object cache drop-in that is currently in place?

Thanks!

Kelly
    Participant

Hi, Kevin. As it’s been more than a couple of weeks since your last post, I’m going to close this thread. Please feel free to open a new one if you choose to pursue this further.

Thanks! 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Edit all recurring events creates new permalinks’ is closed to new replies.