Duplicate Venues Created

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Duplicate Venues Created

• This topic has 18 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Neil Duckett.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Neil Duckett
    Participant

I’ve resisted temptation to run the imports manually, preferring to see what the scheduled import does … it’s pulling in new events and organisers from time to time but today I’ve noticed duplicate venues being created, screen shot attached.

I’m also having duplicate events created, more often than not without the featured image .. the Tuesday Trivia being an example, that also doesn’t have a venue associated with it.

Lastly, i switched to “Preserve the most recent change in each event field, whether that change occurred on my site or at the original source.” hoping when the scheduler was run that it might pick up the missing images and any updates. All it did was strip the phone, email and website from Organisers i’d edited … i think i caught it before it updated too many, mainly because the scheduled import doesn’t work so nothing was run!

I’ve given up expecting a resolution from support when i report these issues, i’ll just wait for the next version to be released and continue to bang my head against the wall while i do so.

Geoff B.

Good evening Neil and welcome back!

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I am sorry to hear that your experience with the imports and reporting these issues has not been great so far (to say the least). Yikes!

I would love to help you with this topic.

First off, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience this has caused so far.
    Please know that we take every single forum ticket very seriously and we absolutely strive to always improve our products and services.

With that in mind, I would like to try to make things better for you and hopefully prevent you from unnecessary concussions from the head banging.

Would it be possible to share with me (in a private reply perhaps) what source you are using for your imports so that I can run some tests on my end and hopefully troubleshoot this for you ?

Hang in there!

Best regards,

Geoff B.

Neil Duckett
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

This reply is private.

Neil Duckett
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff B.

Good evening Neil,

Thank you for the additional information.
    This will certainly help with my investigation.

I am sorry to hear that, to boot Google Maps are not showing up on your imported events.

As I am working on this, I will need to ask a few additional questions just to make sure I follow all the way through.

Thank you for your patience as I am doing this.

Here are a couple of them:

1. Could I have a screenshot of a the scheduled import settings (I am guessing all of your scheduled imports have the same settings) ?
    2. Could you tell me if there is any of these imports that seem to be more problematic than others or are the duplicates spread across all of these imports ? From the screenshot, I can only tell that midnight shift is creating these duplicates
    3. Can you confirm that all of these duplicates were actually created prior to the latest release of our plugins ?

Best regards,

Geoff B.

Neil Duckett
    Participant

Hi Geoff,

In response to your questions;

1: I’ve sent 2 images, 1 of the global settings and 1 of the Facebook settings, what other screen shot do you need?
    2: I haven’t noticed any to be more problematic than others. It’s very hard to tell what’s succeeded and what hasn’t, i can only go by the number of events listed incrementing up. Setting newly imported events to “Draft” or another group isn’t practical.
    3: I can’t confirm they were before or after the latest update. Of those 3, they were created 8th of Jan, 8th of Jan and 9th of Jan. I don’t recall when i upgraded the plugins and whether or not they were created with a scheduled import or manual – i would suggest manual, because scheduled doesn’t seem to do much at the moment. (See my other logged issues pending a fix)

Thanks,

Neil

Geoff B.

Good evening Neil,

Thank you for your reply.

I have some good news. I have been able to reproduce the Google maps link not being activated on imported events.

We are actively working on a fix for this and it is ready for QA.

1: I’ve sent 2 images, 1 of the global settings and 1 of the Facebook settings, what other screen shot do you need?

I would need the 2 following screenshots:

1. Events > Import > Scheduled imports
    2. Events > Import > Scheduled imports > Edit (on one of your imports)

But, if I get this correctly, you are actually running manual imports. So there might be nothing on those screens.

2: I haven’t noticed any to be more problematic than others. It’s very hard to tell what’s succeeded and what hasn’t, i can only go by the number of events listed incrementing up. Setting newly imported events to “Draft” or another group isn’t practical.

Thank you.

You are right, adding an extra step (and more work) is certainly not the way to go.
    The sooner we can find out what is going on, the better.

3: I can’t confirm they were before or after the latest update. Of those 3, they were created 8th of Jan, 8th of Jan and 9th of Jan. I don’t recall when i upgraded the plugins and whether or not they were created with a scheduled import or manual – i would suggest manual, because scheduled doesn’t seem to do much at the moment. (See my other logged issues pending a fix)

The last version was released on January 10.

The reason I am bringing this up is because we specifically released a patch to prevent duplicates of venues and organizers in that version.

Additionally, if you have not already done so, you could use the “Merge duplicate venues” functionality found under Events -> Settings -> General.

The button only appears when there are duplicate venues found.

Other than that, I can see that the fix for your other thread is fairly advanced in its Dev cycle.

Hang in there!

Geoff B.

Neil Duckett
    Participant

Hi Geoff,

OK, looks like some progress.

Here’s the 2 screen shots. ALL of my events are scheduled, however to get them to kick off i hit the “Run Now” button.

I’ve looked for the Merge duplicate venues but it doesn’t appear, even though i can still confirm “Saint Martins Place – Arts, Events & Entertainment Space” appears 3 times, it even has the same slug “saint-martins-place-arts-events-entertainment-space-3” … which is probably a good thing, so at least all events are grouped together event though it appears in the back end as a different venue.

Thanks,

Neil

Geoff B.

Good evening Neil,

Thank you for answering those questions and for the screenshots.

I am glad we will soon be able to resolve at least the Google Maps link part of the issue.
    I am also glad that the duplicate glitch only impacts the backend.

I am sorry and puzzled that the Merge duplicate venue button does not show up.
    Interestingly enough, that venue does not seem to be created or be part of any of the events imported on my test site using the same URL as you.

Could you share the URLs of the events that contain that venue ?

Best regards,

Geoff B.

Neil Duckett
    Participant

Hi Geoff, i can’t find the events created with that venue, but i do see there’s now a 4th iteration … saint-martins-place-arts-events-entertainment-space-4

I’ve checked and i don’t see the merge duplicate button. I do see a “Fix geolocation data” that says … “You have 2 venues for which we don’t have geolocation data. We need to use the Google Maps API to get that information. Doing this may take a while (approximately 1 minute for every 200 venues).”

I hit that button, it reloads the page, but it still says 2 venues etc …

Thanks,

Neil

Neil Duckett
    Participant

Hi Geoff,

I’ve just run a manual update on all events, it bought in some 250 … interestingly the only one to create a duplicate venue is this one …

Saint Martins Place – Arts, Events & Entertainment Space which is now up to saint-martins-place-arts-events-entertainment-space-6 so i’m thinking it’s something to do with one of the characters in the venue name, not picking up that it’s a duplicate … the “-, or &” perhaps?

Thanks,

Neil

Geoff B.

Good evening Neil,

Thank you for your answer.

That is a very valuable find that might allow us to find a new glitch (which is the first step to fixing it, as you know).

I will bring this to dev for testing and get back to you shortly.

Thank you once again,
    Geoff B.

Geoff B.

Good evening Neil,

I have confirmed that we can reproduce the bug with that specific venue on our end.
    I will open a ticket for this.

Hang in there!
    Geoff B.

Neil Duckett
    Participant

No worries Geoff, it’s good to be able to pinpoint something therefore be able to fix it!

Cheers,

Neil

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The topic ‘Duplicate Venues Created’ is closed to new replies.