Duplicate Facebook events happening

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator Duplicate Facebook events happening

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years, 1 month ago by Citizen LocalMotive.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Citizen LocalMotive
    Participant

We have feeds from the Facebook events pages of a number of organizations who are interested in each others events and so share their events amongst themselves in addition to creating their own pages. What is happening is the same events are being duplicated as it is fed into the calendar from different feeds. Don’t the events have unique ID numbers that Modern Tribe could screen on, preventing such duplicates from happening? Right now I am having to tediously screen the calendar for duplicates and hide them. Needs to be automated.

Your calendar, customer service, ability to customize, and much more are so superior to Timely’s, btw. Preventing duplicate FB events is one item their calendar did very well though, so I know it can be done.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Carolyn

Courtney

Hi Carolyn

Wow, that is a very unique issue. I’m so sorry this is happening. Because our plugin sees each event on Facebook as an individual event, we do not have a way to eliminate the duplicates.

If you think that is something you would like as a feature I encourage you to visit our User Voice Page and either upvote an existing request or make a new request there.

You can suggest it it http://tribe.uservoice.com.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Citizen LocalMotive
    Participant

Thanks. I added a request for a new feature with a couple of possible solutions. Facebook events have unique Event Id’s event if they are shared in many places. The Event ID can be used to prevent the same event from being imported repeatedly: https://www.displaysocialmedia.com/get-find-facebook-event-id/

Courtney

Could you send me an example or two of the same event being shared by multiple pages? I’d like to test how the page events import as well on our end.

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Colin Carmichael
    Participant

This is not a unique situation at all. I have MANY instances where 2 or 3 community organizations co-sponsor events and they are each listed as organizers. The events themselves do have unique IDs, so they are not duplicated within FB. In my experience, the aggregator handles this well… often I will subscribe to a new page that is a co-organizer of an already subscribed page… the shared event shows as ‘updated’ rather than new on import.

However, I do get lots of duplicate events from FB imports and wonder if this is related.

Here’s an example of the same event (with the same FB ID) being imported twice:
    https://huron.buzz/event/winterfest-sports-memorabilia-day-silent-auction-in-goderich/
    https://huron.buzz/event/winterfest-sports-memorabilia-day-silent-auction-in-goderich-2/

This event has 4 organizers, so it’s clearly not a simple X organizer = X duplicates.
    Hope this helps.

Cliff

Hi, Colin. I’m going to take over this thread for you while Courtney’s unavailable. Sorry for the delayed reply here, too!

Could you please provide Facebook links so I could try to recreate this on my own localhost site? I imagine you’d share 2 links with me for the Silent Auction in Goderich, for example. I’ll import one Facebook URL and then import the other and see if it duplicates for me too. If it does, I’ll be able to look in my database and possibly try some programming things.

Thank you.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Duplicate Facebook events happening’ is closed to new replies.