Does Pro Give You An Option for Calendar View on Specific Page

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Does Pro Give You An Option for Calendar View on Specific Page

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bob

I am using your free version and tried to search the forums for this answer, but no luck.
    I know that in the free version I set the default view globally to Calendar or Event List. What I would like to do is have this set for Event List globally, but in the page where I have my calendar and drop in {CALENDAR} I would like only that one as a Calendar view. I don’t see an option in the free version, can this be done in Pro?

Joyce Grace

Hi’ya Bob! Joyce here (who won the free WordCamp ticket – you made me so happy!)

I’m a bit new here with Modern Tribe, so do bear with me if I’m giving totally uneducated advice (still learning!). I’m curious to know if you’re running the latest version of the plugin? It seems like {CALENDAR} is being used as a shortcode, but the PRO plugin does not use short codes, it uses custom post types.

So we do have event categories, but each of those can be linked to using WordPress custom menus.

Then if you wanted to get the default view to be “Event List” on the main calendar, that shows all events and all categories, you could set that up in the Events Calendar Settings.

But if you wanted the Calendar Grid View on specific Category pages (i.e. category archives, basically), then you would need to do some custom coding 🙂

We have a Themer’s Guide to the Events Calendar, if that helps: https://theeventscalendar.com/themers-guide-to-the-events-calendar/

I guess if my answer doesn’t help, I would need to know more about what you mean by “globally” using “Event List” and then on pages using the Calendar Grid View (or visa versa).

Thanks!

Bob

Hey Joyce, very cool to see you here.
    Yeah, I am using the free version and that is why I was asking about the Pro version. I believe you answered my question.
    So to clarify, I am setting it globally to list, because of the need to have all my category listings as a list. But wanting the main calendar to be the grid. Sounds like what I would have to do is to set it globally to the grid so it shows up that way on the main calendar page. The customize it to have it show as lists on the other category pages. I think that is what you are saying and is the solution.

So getting the Pro version won’t make any difference in that situation?

Joyce Grace

Hi Bob 🙂

I guess not!

I think the main benefit to getting PRO is the recurring events and the advanced widget, and things like that.

But customizing the look of it is really usually theme dependent, and needs templates set up.

However, if we can help any further, Shane is wondering, “why on a separate page? I think we need more info about what he is trying to accomplish. Is this a navigational challenge or a code challenge he is trying to address?”

Did you really mean “page” as in on a WordPress page, or were you just using “Page” as a general word to describe when someone lands on a web page of a web site?

Oh dear – sorry if we’re making this so complicated!

Bob

No problem, I am probably making it more complicated. : )

So, what I have is a page called calendar, which I had the short code {CALENDAR} in. This is the page that I would like the grid view. In the list view it can get rather long. It’s a page where people can go and see not only my events, but conferences and WordCamps I go to.

Then I have other pages which are basically category driven. For example I have a workshop category (event category), I add that category to my menu, then when someone clicks on that they see a list of workshops — this is where I want the lists to be rather than the grid.

But the settings for the plugin are global so I can only have it one way or another, with the option of changing the view. Does that make sense?

Also, on another note. I added it to another thread but it may have gotten lost. I am not seeing my events go out in my normal RSS. I had read that they go out as normal posts, which is fine by me. Is this a feature of PRO, and not the free version? (Sorry for the second question).

Joyce Grace

Hi Bob,

Yeah, it sounds like you’re going to need to do some custom programming to accomplish what you’re looking for. But on that note, it’s a good idea, and if you do get the Pro version, I would recommend you add this to the feature request forum.

I didn’t know we had the short-code {calendar} – are you sure it’s our plugin? Someone told me sometimes people can have another plugin or be using shortcodes from another calendar plugin that makes it work that way.

About the RSS, did you try this tutorial already? https://theeventscalendar.com/how-to-add-events-to-your-rss-feed/

If it still doesn’t work, I would recommend posting this question to the plugin forum on wordpress.org http://wordpress.org/tags/the-events-calendar?forum_id=10 and someone will be able to help you with it there, and our devs can look if necessary too.

I hope this helps!

Bob

Yeah, it’s weird as when I initially did the install it gave me a calendar page I believe. I thought that short code was there for it, not sure, maybe I am imagining things now. But yes, you are right, after more reading I figured it was a custom job and have a couple of devs looking at it now.

And will check out the link on the RSS…. Thanks!

Joyce Grace

Thank YOU Bob! Hope we can help!

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Does Pro Give You An Option for Calendar View on Specific Page’ is closed to new replies.