do imported events link back to the original facebook event?

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator do imported events link back to the original facebook event?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Don Rosenberg

When I use your Facebook Events plugin to automatically import events from facebook groups, does the calendar have a link back to the original event posting on Facebook?

Geoff

Hi Don, hope you had a great weekend!

There actually is a link, but it’s to the source of the event rather than the event itself. So, for example, if an event was imported from your Facebook page, then The Events Calendar will display a link back to your Facebook page rather than the specific event.

Here’s a screenshot of an event I imported from the Hollywood Bowl Facebook page and you can see where the link back to that page is.

Does this help answer your question? Please let me know. 🙂

Cheers!
    Geoff

don rosenberg

Hi Goeff,
    Thanks for the quick response.

I am importing data automatically from Facebook groups, and am also importing via event number. Here are some examples of events with no links back to either the event or the group…

Argentine tango workshop in Little Rock with Oscar Casas!

Baltimore Tango Streetlight Pier Milonga

Clint Rauscher in Charleston

Any urls listed seem to be in the text of the event description.

Don.

Geoff

Hi Don and thanks for following up!

That’s certainly strange. If you head to the WordPress editor for one of those events, do you see a field in there for Event Website (screenshot)? If so, is there any information in the field?

Thanks,
    Geoff

Don Rosenberg

My main goal would be to give people a direct link where they can visit the facebook event page to sign up. I don’t see websites listed on the three events. Here are two of the three event listings…

https://www.facebook.com/events/971765302937860/

https://www.facebook.com/events/161269717642615/

Don.

Geoff

Hi Don,

I’m trying to get a sense of whether you see the Event Website field in the event editor because that is what Facebook Events should be importing the Facebook page URL to. Do you see that field listed in your event editor like the screenshot I shared?

Thanks so much!
    Geoff

Don Rosenberg

No, I don’t see it.

Don.

Geoff

Thanks, Don!

I’m going to go ahead and move this thread to our Facebook Events forum since it sounds like this is more of a technical issue rather than a pre-sales question. The URL is the same, but you will need to login to reply.

The other reason I want to move this thread is that it will allow you to share private replies with me. In this case, will you please head to Events > Settings > Help, copy the system information at the bottom of the screen and paste it for me here as a private reply? That will help me check some of your settings for clues about what might be going on and at least rule out a few possibilities.

Thanks!
    Geoff

Don Rosenberg
    Participant

This reply is private.

Geoff

Hey Don, thanks for the info! Your settings look all good and that helps a lot.

Do the events you are importing from Facebook have a website URL entered in Facebook? I tried importing the events you provided and no website is importing from those events (screenshot).

Compare that when trying to import this other event (screenshot):
    https://www.facebook.com/events/698984756870841/

Will you please confirm that the events that are being imported from Facebook have a URL? If they do not, then Facebook Events will not import any information for that field.

Thanks!
    Geoff

Don Rosenberg
    Participant

Hi Goeff,
    It is very likely that these events do NOT have an entry in the website field. My point all along is that a very important feature for facebook events import would be a link back to the original event, so people could go there, RSVP, and participate in the conversation about the event. Obviously you have that information. Perhaps it can be an option that can be turned on or off. “Link to original event.”

This would be in addition to the info we already are seeing, which is the website link when provided.

Don.

Geoff

Hi Don and thanks for both following up and clarifying your point — sorry if I’ve been muddling it up.

I’m afraid that Facebook Events will not link back to the original source by default. If you were to make the events’s URL the Facebook URL, then that would import into The Events Calendar and display.

Sorry again for causing more confusion than necessary but I hope this helps answer your question.

Thanks,
    Geoff

Don Rosenberg
    Participant

Hi Geoff,
    You aren’t muddling up anything. I was asking two questions – 1. does your plugin import the website? Yes, if it’s populated in the original event listing on facebook, and 2. is including an optional link back to the original facebook event a feature that TEC would like to add?

What’s the answer to #2?

Don.

Geoff

Thanks for following up, Don! The answer to #2 is no, I’m afraid. There is no optional field or setting to display the original Facebook URL for an event that has been imported using Facebook Events.

However, it can be achieved and we actually have a tutorial on how to do it using a snippet in your theme’s functions.php file:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/link-to-fb-event

Will that do the trick for you? Please let me know and thanks again for hanging with me while we figure this out together — you’ve been both gracious and patient and I appreciate it.

Geoff

Geoff

Hi Don, I see one of the past replies in this thread was marked as the correct answer. I’ll go ahead and close this thread but please do let us know if any other questions come up and we’d be happy to help — definitely with less muddling on my end. 🙂

Cheers and have a great day!
    Geoff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘do imported events link back to the original facebook event?’ is closed to new replies.