Display Issues

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Display Issues

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    jebs38
    Participant

Dear Tribe,

I have just done my update to the latest version of EC and WordPress and my theme. I now have several display problems:

http://bestofnj.com/events/category/nj/north-jersey-events/month

1. My calendar is not fitting the table that holds it and I can’t seem to locate the problem. Could you help me?

2.There are also some strange recurring event issues right now also that you can see there.

3. The Images on single event view are not resizing automatically for some reason, so the pages are not truly responsive right now.

Casey D

Hello jebs38!

Thanks for contacting us and sorry you’re experiencing this! 🙁

I did some tinkering and I think I found some solutions:

1. Table sizing –

I’m not sure why the table isn’t work but I added this css and that seems to make the calendar fit within the container. Not sure why that is! Maybe it’s a theme conflict.

table.tribe-events-calendar { display: inherit !important; }

2. Recurring Events –

We had a bug when users with smaller systems upgraded to The Events Calendar Pro 3.5. The database on smaller systems wasn’t able to upgrade all the way, because of a slow query in our code.

We made a plugin to remove duplicate queries. Could you give this plugin a try and see if it cleans up your duplicates?

Duplicate recurring events cleanup tool

3. Single page styling –

I believe this is a bug in our code, but I think if you add this line it should shrink to the size of the browser. It worked on mine, let me know if it works on yours!

.tribe-mobile #main { width: 100% !important; }

Does this make sense? Let me know if these solutions don’t work for you!

Cheers!
    – Casey Driscoll

jebs38
    Participant

Casey, In terms of items 1 and 3 and your suggested remedies, they changed nothing for me. I have to look into the cleanup tool.

John

jebs38
    Participant

Casey,

I am a bit leary of running that script on the site without knowing if it was successful for others that have reported this problem. I did a bit of searching and I did not find much on it. Has anyone reported good results on this and has anyone reported any problems with it?

Casey D

Hey John,

I checked the css code again, but updated them with !important to force them into action. I’m using Chrome on Mac OSX, and they are working for me alright. Also works on Firefox.

Table: http://glui.me/?i=e8h7yuh0voajj0n/2014-04-23_at_12.18_PM.png/

Responsive single event: http://glui.me/?i=1agnf150ml0ns2e/2014-04-22_at_1.49_PM.png/

What browser and operating system are you using? I’d personally like to test more on IE, but there are so many versions and scenarios, and that is getting more into troubleshooting for customization, which is beyond the useful scope of these forums.

I completely appreciate your concerns with the clean up plugin. If it helps, we announced it in our release notes after working with several users to fix the issue. For most users with that duplication bug, it has fixed the problem right away. After talking to the rest of the support team, we’re not aware of any major issues reported with the latest version of the cleanup utility.

Of course, please make a backup of your site before installing the clean up plugin, as results may vary out in the wild.

I’m hoping I can help get this cleaned up for you soon! Let me know if these solutions still don’t work.

– Casey Driscoll

jebs38
    Participant

Casey, I am trying the cleanup tool on my staging site on WPEngine and it is not working so far. Should I just keep rerunning it. I have rerun it probably 6 times now. It keeps stalling out and returning a 501 Bad Gateway Error.

jebs38
    Participant

The css is still not resolved for me. I tried it and I could not get it to work and I had to do a rollback on my theme because of the display errors that popped up.

jebs38
    Participant

Casey, I just wanted to report that the cleanup tool worked well but it took a very long to eliminate all the dupes in my database. I think I must have run it through about 20 times.

jebs38
    Participant

I forgot to say that was on my test site. I now have to do this on the live site.

Casey D

Hey John!

Thanks for the update. I’m happy cleaning up the duplicates ultimately worked out.

The reason all the duplicates were made in the first place, was because our upgrade script did not adequately account for slower systems with larger databases. The script would time out, creating the problem.

We designed the cleanup script to run slowly, more purposefully, so that it does not break if it times out. On slower systems with a lot of content, this can be a hassle, so I’m sorry for the inconvenience. I’m happy that you got to the other end just fine.

As far as the CSS problem is concerned, I’m not sure how best to approach it. CSS customizations are typically well beyond the scope of the forums, but we’re happy to make an exception for you. CSS customization is a speciality of mine, and I was able to find the answer to both problems on my system within an hour. I’ve tested  and refined the answers above twice now and attached screenshots of the working site in the second response.

I’d love to get your site up and running the way you would like it. Could you answer the following questions?

– How/where are you adding the CSS?
    – What web browser (brand and version) and operating system (brand and version) are you using?
    – What is your monitor resolution? (1920×1080)
    – Is your staging server publicly available?
    – Could you privately reply a list of your theme and activated plugins? These should be listed in Events Settings > Help tab.

Responsive styling on multiple systems can be a tricky business, so the answers to all of these questions are important. Especially in a framework with so many themes and plugins, figuring out the root cause can be difficult, but we’re very good at it! If you can answer these and maybe a few other questions we should be able to get your site cleaned up soon.

Does this make sense? Let me know if I can clarify anything.

Cheers!

– Casey Driscoll

jebs38
    Participant

This reply is private.

jebs38
    Participant

Duplicates cleaned up perfectly from the main site, with fewer run throughs.

jebs38
    Participant

Casey,

I got your css working. It turns out that my SFTP was woggy and not taking my updates. The single listing images are now resizing nicely.

I do have another issue showing up now that I will post on another thread if you want me to. My calendar view in mobile is only showing 6 days. The calendar is cut off.

John

jebs38
    Participant

Casey, I’ve had this other issue for some time and I thought that I could catch it today but I cannot find the problem. Only on Calendar pages, the rounded corners of my theme are screwed. They are overlaid with a square corner. I have tried to trace this down in Firebug to no avail.

jebs38
    Participant

See the Square problem here: http://bestofnj.com/event/jersey-cares-day-2014 or on any Calendar page on my site.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Display Issues’ is closed to new replies.