Disable links on Single Event Page (Part II)

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Disable links on Single Event Page (Part II)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lars
    Participant

@Barry: we find it utterly annoying that you are closing our threads for any more comments before they are even solved: https://tri.be/support/forums/topic/disable-links-on-single-event-page/#post-118384

Lars
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

Hi Mending.

@Barry: we find it utterly annoying that you are closing our threads for any more comments before they are even solved

First of all let me say that I certainly didn’t wish to annoy you, that was not at all my intention.

However, we do generally close off threads once we’ve reached a point where we’ve done all we feel we reasonably can: I should of course have done a better job in communicating as much to you to make you aware of that and will certainly do so next time.

We cannot programme these things you mention as we are not developers. Please just appoint us to which file we can remove the link tag. Or write up a snippet. We only need this because ECP is so difficult to work with as explained

I’d like to note a few things at this point as its important we continue our relationship with a good understanding of what we can and cannot provide.

• We are not a custom development shop. We’re happy to write snippets on occasion and generally point you in the correct direction – at some point though we have to draw the line as it just isn’t practical, given the cost of the plugin, for us to provide unbounded support
    • Besides the thread you referenced earlier, I’m pretty sure we’ve helped you with a few related items. We feel that should be enough to get you started and, with the aid of our documentation, start putting together your own solutions
    • We definitely appreciate that’s not valid for everyone, of course, but if you are still finding customization tasks like this to be major problems then it may be that you need more support than we can offer and I’d recommend engaging a suitable web developer to provide further one-on-one assistance

The reason for unlinking the “Event Category” and “Organizer” on the Single Event Page is that ECP cannot be set to show a specific week of events (in October) and it only works realtime (!). We managed to customize this by using a Redirection plugin redirecting /events to /events/week/2014-10-06/ but when clicking the “Event Category” link on the Single Event Page this all falls apart as “categories” are used in the URL.

I fully understand your rationale: at the same time, I tend to see this sort of a customization as a “nice to have” that is applicable to some edge cases like your own, rather than as something that is an across-the-board problem that will hit lots of users.

On this occasion we’re not going to be able to guide you point-by-point through making this change and I hope you can understand the reasons for that.

If you have any further comments or concerns we’re absolutely open to your further feedback.

Lars
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

There is absolutely no need to use private replies unless you are sharing confidential information. For all other cases, please post your question openly 🙂

Could you please just tell the file name of the Event Single Page and in which folder to find it?

Yes, certainly. The single event template can be found in:

plugins/the-events-calendar/views/single-event.php

Please do remember to follow the steps given in the Themer’s Guide to make any changes safely and in an update-resistant manner. Thanks!

Lars
    Participant

Hi Barry,
    We can’t get this to work same as this won’t work: https://tri.be/support/forums/topic/active-filters-title-not-relected-on-events/

We need to unlink all “Event Category” (and change heading) as they cause a faulty link/URL. This is caused by the lack of ECP not being able to automatically forward to nearest upcoming events in Week (month) view. Could you please help us sort this? We tried finding the link in the Single Event file with no luck.

Barry

We tried finding the link in the Single Event file with no luck.

So all of those fields are pulled in using the tribe_events_single_event_meta() function – there are other ways of editing its output, though, so you could for instance catch its output using the tribe_events_single_event_meta filter and modify it that way, something like this:

add_filter( 'tribe_events_single_event_meta', 'custom_meta_alterations' );

function custom_meta_alterations( $html ) {
    	return str_replace( 'text to find', 'text to replace it with', $html );
    }

That’s a little clumsy though and it would be better to find out why other methods are not working in your case.

We can’t get this to work same as this won’t work: https://tri.be/support/forums/topic/active-filters-title-not-relected-on-events/

OK. Just as in that thread I’m not sure why this isn’t working for you: can you try taking things back to a default state (ie no other plugins but ours and only a default, unmodified theme) and see if it works then?

Can you also share the code you put together for this specific scenario (and please share via Pastebin or Gist, rather than posting directly in the forum). Thanks!

Lars
    Participant

This is getting too confusing and you are directing us in various complex directions. Barry, all we need is to unlink (remove the link) from categories being listed below the “Event Category” heading on the Single Event Page. How hard can be?

If visitors can click these categories they are presented with no events (and we can’t have that) as ECP can’t understand the common sence in moving forward to the next upcoming event in its calender but stick to whatever realtime week/month we are in.

Now let’s get this unlinked please and close this thread down.

Barry

Lars, we’ve provided you with a lot of assistance recently – indeed you are one of our most active users at this time – but there are limits to how much we can do for you. As I stated initially:

On this occasion we’re not going to be able to guide you point-by-point through making this change and I hope you can understand the reasons for that.

After informing you of that, you followed up asking how to edit single event pages and we covered that. You are now looping back round to the original issue and I’ve even tried to outline an alternative approach to editing output from the meta walker, which it seems is not viable for you either.

Based on other threads where you are also having difficulties customizing the display of meta data, despite having been provided with solutions we know have worked for others, I’m wary of getting us bogged down especially for something like this which is of a slightly more advanced nature. On this occasion we are not going to be able to assist further – and for that reason I will now close this thread.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Disable links on Single Event Page (Part II)’ is closed to new replies.