disable event's categorie in breadcrumb

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO disable event's categorie in breadcrumb

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Maciej
    Participant

Hello,
    I have an event with the following categories assigned (see attached screenshot)
    I wonder why, in the breadcrumb the event is prefixed with one of the categorie ? (see attached screenshot).
    How can I disable this ?
    BR,
    Maciej

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Macie,

That is a great question. I can only point you in the right direction, as even I do not know the specific lines of code or setting you’ll need to change. You see that breadcrumb does not come from oue plugin, thus it must be a part of your theme. Since I have never used your theme I’m not familiar enough with it to hide that.

You should contact your theme author and ask them how to hide the breadcrumb. If you wish to hide it site-wide it’s possible there is a setting or small snippet of code they’ll share. If you wish to only hide it The Events Calendar’s pages then ask them if there is a “Page Template” that does not have the breaddcrumb, and then select that page template in WP-Admin > Events > Settings > Display . If there is not, then ask them what part of theme you would need to modify to hide it. Wherever they point you towill be the code that shows the breadcrumb. If you wrap that code in the following, it will hide the breadcrumb only on the calendar views:

if ( tribe_is_event() ) {

// breadcrumb code

}

Does that all make sense? Will that work for you? Please let me know.

Cheers!

– Brook

Maciej
    Participant

You didn’t understand me. I don’t want to disable breadcrumb.

Let me be more precisely. It seems it is related to the reccuring events.

I created a non-recurring event called “My event”.
    It belongs to three categories: toto, titi, tata. toto is parent of titi. tata has no parent category. (screenshot attached).
    When I go to the simple events page of “My event” I can see in the breadcrumb (as expected) : “Events/My Event”.

Now, I modify “My event” by adding one recurrence of type “date”. And when I go to the simple events page of “My event” I can see in the breadcrumb :
    “Events/tata/My Event”.

My questions are:
    1. Why the reccuring event is prefixed with “tata” when the non-recurring one is not?
    2. Why “tata” and not ” toto” or “titi” ?

I think you should be able to reproduce this issue on your side ?

Brook
    Participant

Oh I’m sorry I did misunderstand you. But my answer will be much the same. I am not exactly sure how your breadcrumb works. Is it a walker? Does it exhibit similar problems for other post types with similar category structure? These questions will be for the author of your theme. Fortunately they will probably be quite accustomed to questions such as yours, because our plugin is mostly just a standard WordPress Custom Post Type. So any other Custom Post Type will likely also exhibit similar symptoms and people like you will have wanted to modify it.

I am sorry, I really do wish I could be of more help here. I do not like sending people away as personally when that happens to me its no fun. But we are just not the spot for helping with this. Breadcrumbs like this are not actually a part of WordPress, they are a wholly custom thing built by your theme. Thus having never even seen the code that powers this, I really can’t help you modify it.

Please let me know if you have any more questions for me. Cheers!

– Brook

Maciej
    Participant

In this case, you should be able to advise a breadcrumb plugin I could use on my website ? Of course fully compatible with your recurring events ?
    Nevertheless I will contact the theme développer. Do you agree with me that the behaviour I described is not normal ?
    BR,
    Maciej

Maciej
    Participant

Here is answer from the theme developper (ThemeCanon – Venue X – Simple Events WordPress Theme) :
    “The Events calendar uses a custom post type for their events. Depending on how they have structured their custom post types (the taxonomy structure they are using) this could have an effect on the breadcrumbs.”

So I repeat my question: Why the recurring event IS PREFIXED with “tata” when the non-recurring one IS NOT ?

BR,
    Maciej

Brook
    Participant

In this case, you should be able to advise a breadcrumb plugin I could use on my website ? Of course fully compatible with your recurring events ?

I do not know of one. Every bread crumb I have ever used in WordPress has flaws like this. There is a reason why WordPress itself does not provide breadcrumbs, and why breadcrumbs are relatively rare in the WordPress ecosystem. WordPress is not hierarchial, and breadcrumbs require hierarchy. With how WordPress is designed breadcrumbs will often break or behave oddly. Your example is a classic case of this problem.

“The Events calendar uses a custom post type for their events. Depending on how they have structured their custom post types (the taxonomy structure they are using) this could have an effect on the breadcrumbs.”

Basically what they are telling you is that Event Categories can show up in the breadcrumb. But of course your probably already knew that.

Our plugin uses bog-standard WP Taxonomies (categories). The breadcrumb plugin is clearly designed to support taxonomies or else you would not be seeing them in it.

Why the recurring event IS PREFIXED with “tata” when the non-recurring one IS NOT ?

That’s a great question. One I too am wondering. When designing the breadcrumb the theme author faced the following dilemma, same as any other breadcrumb will when trying to impose hierarchy on WordPress:

• This post has multiple categories, should I:
      • Display all of them as parents?
      • Display a random one?
      • Not display the category at all?
    • This post is a child of another post and a category. Should I:
      • Show the parent?
      • Show a random category?
      • Nothing at all?

There are a million different ways to handle all of these problems, I only showed a few. In the case of your first post it appears they chose to show a random category. In the case of your recurring event, which has a parent post, it appears they chose to show nothing at all. These are all decisions made within the breadcrumbs code. In order to change these decisions the breadcrumb’s code will need to be modified.

Does that help clarify things for you?

• Brook
    Maciej
    Participant

I managed to workaround this issue using “Post Terms Order” plugin.
    Thank you for your support and sorry for the inconveniance.

BR,
    Maciej

Brook
    Participant

I am very happy you got a solution. It was not an inconvenience at all! I just wish I could help more with code that I am unfamiliar with. It would save you a lot of hassle and me a lot of explaining.

Thank you for getting back Macie. If you ever have any more questions about The Events Calendar please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Cheers!

– Brook

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘disable event's categorie in breadcrumb’ is closed to new replies.