Deleting individual instances of a recurring event

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Deleting individual instances of a recurring event

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bob
    Participant

I know this has been raised multiple times, and I know there is a kind of workaround, but it is simply prohibitively difficult. It makes recurring events so painful to use that they may not be worth using at all. Which, frankly, would make the whole calendar’s usefulness suspect. We’ve got enough invested at this point that I really don’t want to switch calendars, but this is just a nearly unworkable user experience. I can’t really have other people work with recurring events due to the risk of them inadvertently deleting too much.

I can’t figure out why I can change an individual entry by selecting it from the calendar view, and I get a prompt about “this instance or all instances”, but when I try to trash the entry from the same edit page, it trashes all occurrences. That’s at best counter-intuitive, at worst an actual implementation bug.

Please, please make addressing this a high priority.
    – Doug (for Bob)

Barry

Hi Bob.

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulties. I’m 99% sure that I have been able to replicate this issue – but I just want to be certain we are experiencing the same thing.

It seems to me that if you edit an event by navigating to it from the dashboard (rather than from the front end) a modal window offering a choice between “This instance or all instances” will appear when you click on Move to Trash, though this does not seem to happen if you click on the edit link after viewing the event in the front-end. Can you confirm if you are experiencing the same thing?

If you could also confirm the version of The Events Calendar you are running with that would be great 🙂

Barry

(Sorry Doug, I should have said “Hi Doug” not “Hi Bob”.)

Barry

Quick update – we’ve logged this as a high priority issue for the next release so unless some kind of unexpected problem arises on a technical level the lack of a “This occurrence or all occurrences” dialog when you navigate to the editor from the frontend ought to be fixed a few weeks from now.

Thanks so much for highlighting this issue – your feedback is much appreciated.

Bob
    Participant

“Front end” means from the Calendar or Events view, and “back end” from the wp-admin pages, correct? If so, yes, that’s it, and thank you, thank you.

In particular, since the “back end view” seems to list the individual instances only if you haven’t filtered or searched, I was having to page through dozens of pages to find the specific instances to delete.

– Doug

Barry

Yep, I guess navigating to events via the calendar is often easier than trying to locate an event through the list provided on the admin-side, particularly when a large number of events are being managed.

In any case, hopefully we can get this one squared away for you by the next release – thanks again for bringing this to our attention 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Deleting individual instances of a recurring event’ is closed to new replies.