Default Page Template is broken with Genesis themes

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Default Page Template is broken with Genesis themes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    surbma
    Participant

Hi,

Actually this issue is more than the ‘title”, it is a follow up of a wordpress.org thread: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/default-page-template-is-broken-with-genesis-themes?replies=19

So please see the thread for more informations!

I need solution for the following points:
    1. The default template is not “default”. Can we get a really default template?
    2. The event page is still broken. Can be a div problem or something. As I remember it was good with 3.0.1,
    3. Why do you use h2 tag for the event title? It is the entry title and it should be h1. Can you please change it?
    4. The events page is broken with Genesis templates if I use the Default Page Template.

So I’m waiting for a real solution. I hope this pro support will find the answer for all issues. Thank you!

twentwatchers
    Participant

I’m in full agreement with Surbma here.

The thing is; once we get the REAL default template for Genesis, and we’re just able to add the event-details etc. via genesis-hooks it’s all sorted. We’d have the H1, (which it should be by default!) and all the other things are out of our way.

My thread with the same underlying issue:
    https://tri.be/support/forums/topic/events-calendar-and-genesis-template-chaos/

Barry

Hi surbma,

As Jonah suggested in the related wordpress.org thread I can use the Genesis base theme and don’t see any significant problems – though I’m sure that especially within the context of a child theme you would need to make some tweaks, but that is true of many themes.

The default template is not “default”. Can we get a really default template?

Can you clarify what you mean by this? I’m guessing you set Events > Settings > Display to use the Default Page Template – but structurally what is missing/different and what problem is it causing you?

The event page is still broken. Can be a div problem or something. As I remember it was good with 3.0.1,

Have you updated to our most recent releases? It looks as though what I see on your events page is possibly a blog post – if so this is probably a quite separate bug which I believe we have resolved. If it is still an issue for you with our most recent updates then please create a new thread and one of the team will deal with it there.

Why do you use h2 tag for the event title? It is the entry title and it should be h1. Can you please change it?

It isn’t always desirable to do this, but you can certainly override our templates and tweak things via your theme’s functions.php file. Please take a look at our Themer’s Guide and if you continue to have problems please don’t hesitate to create a new thread (as, again, this isn’t really a problem that is specific to Genesis and is a quite separate customization issue – you may even find existing threads covering this on the forum).

The events page is broken with Genesis templates if I use the Default Page Template.

It works for me so I am unsure why it’s a problem for you, unless perhaps it’s specific to your child theme – is that a possibility?

Barry

Hi twentwatchers,

My thread with the same underlying issue:
    https://tri.be/support/forums/topic/events-calendar-and-genesis-template-chaos/

For the time being – although these definitely look similar – let’s keep addressing your specific issues in that thread so as not to confuse any troubleshooting work we might do in this thread.

Thanks!

surbma
    Participant

“I can use the Genesis base theme and don’t see any significant problems”
    I’ve switched to the base theme and the problem is still there. Anyway, nobody uses the Genesis base theme, as this is a framework and it is especially for child themes.

As I’ve asked Jonah more times, can you please provide me a link to a Genesis powered website, where the events page is working with the default page template?

“I’m guessing you set Events > Settings > Display to use the Default Page Template”
    Yes, I have meant that option. I’m talking about this option from the beginning. What am I missing? I’m missing a really default template, where I can use my theme’s default template.

For example I’m really-really missing the h1 title, because it is very important for SEO. But I’m actually missing everything and I don’t understand why do you need to mess with your custom codes (in the default template), if WordPress allows you to insert codes in the content with the the_content filter, which is the most recommended way to add extra content.

“Have you updated to our most recent releases?”
    I’ve upgraded to the latest version of the plugin, but the event page is still broken. I think you don’t know WordPress, as I see your answers. Do you think my event page is a blog post? It is an event. And it is broken. Only with your default page template, so it must be with your plugin. It is one more reason, why you should use the the_content filter.

“If it is still an issue for you with our most recent updates then please create a new thread…”
    WHAT? I need to open one more thread??? It is really frustrating what you call support! I opened this thread one week ago, so I have to wait a week to get an answer! This is a paid support only for PRO members. I won’t open a new thread for the same bug.

“…this isn’t really a problem that is specific to Genesis…”
    It is true. The h1-h2 issue is not a problem, a bug, it is a question. As there is no reason to use h2 tag for a page’s title. I see, that you don’t know SEO as well. I also see, that you won’t change it. I’m really-really disappointed…

“It works for me so I am unsure why it’s a problem for you…”
    I have switched to Genesis base theme (anyway I was using Genesis’ official child theme before) and it is still broken. Can you please provide a link, where I can see your working events page with Genesis theme and the display option is set to default page template?

You are really unhelpful and it seems you even don’t want to solve a problem. The weekly answers make this thread like a neverending story. It is disappointing and frustrating. One of the worst support I’ve ever used.

Barry

I’m sorry you feel that way, we’re trying to help but we need to build up a picture of what exactly the problem is – I’m afraid it just isn’t clear at this point. Similarly, to avoid confusion and focus in on specific problems we recommend creating a new thread for each individual problem – the <h2> issue would be one of those and we do that to deliver you the support you need faster, not to impede or delay you.

I also appreciate that it would not be usual to use the Genesis base theme by itself – but from our perspective there could be any number of customizations in a given child theme (I didn’t anyway know which child theme you are using) and so I tested against the base theme only to get a sense of what is and isn’t specific to Genesis itself.

Do you think my event page is a blog post? It is an event. And it is broken.

Please also understand that I’m not fluent in every language in use across our user base and therefore when I visit your site I am missing some cues that might otherwise help me – but I appreciate the clarification.

This did look similar in appearance to a different issue other users have experienced in different circumstances – whereby blog posts showed on their main events page. If that’s not so we can focus on other possibilities.

Can you please provide a link, where I can see your working events page with Genesis theme and the display option is set to default page template?

No, since I tested this locally. However, here is a screenshot taken with the Genesis base theme and default page template in use.

When you selectively quote “It works for me so I am unsure why it’s a problem for you…” – which was only part of that sentence – it does sound unhelpful. But I did go on to add, “Unless perhaps it’s specific to your child theme – is that a possibility?”

I am simply looking for more information (it may not be the child theme at all – it may be something else, a setting or a plugin) in order to replicate this and ultimately give you the help you need 🙂 … if that hasn’t come across then I’m sorry.

surbma
    Participant

I have “solved” the event page issue, as I was added an extra to your “after event content” field, when Jonah suggested to do that. So it is fine. I’m sorry to forget this extra code there.

The events page is still broken and I have no idea what to do with it. I even don’t know how this content rendered there. So I’m waiting for a fix or help to make it working.

Barry

OK, I think the reason I couldn’t replicate this is because the Genesis > Theme Settings > Content Archives option wasn’t set to Display post excerpts (which I’m guessing it is set to in your case) … can you confirm if that’s so and if it’s an option for you to change that setting to Display post content?

If that isn’t possible can you try adding this snippet to your (child) theme’s functions.php file?

surbma
    Participant

Wow! This is a big step forward. 🙂

If I switch to “Display post content”, than it is working fine. BUT this is not the solution, as this setting is affecting the whole websites look, I mean all the archive pages.

This is a good start for you to fix this for Genesis powered websites. This need to be fixed, as I can not use post content display option.

Even it is problem, that in this page the post-info and post-meta sections are showing. I guess this is not an archive page template. So first, you should set the events page to be an archive page for this custom post type.

If you see the html code for this page, you can see the singular class in the body tag, which means Genesis thinks this is a singular post page, which is false. This must be an archive page.

Barry

Would this snippet work as a solution for that issue?

surbma
    Participant

“This paste has been removed!” 🙁

Gould
    Participant

Yes, “this paste has been removed”.

Barry

Sorry for the inconvenience – looks like there was an extra character at the end of the last URL I pasted – my fault. The correct URL for the paste is:

http://pastebin.com/CM2cB6d4

surbma
    Participant

This is just the body class replace. That does not help here, because the problem is not with the css. The problem is with the function.

It is strange, that I need to tell you what to do. It seems you don’t know WordPress and web developing.

It will be a long, long fix. I am really disappointed to use your plugin. Unfortunately I am using it in production sites and on client sites, so I can not change easily.

Barry

Yes it is indeed a simple string replacement – offered up in the hopes of giving you a quick fix (in case you were facing CSS issues, where a rule wasn’t being observed due to the missing .archive class).

If that doesn’t meet your needs I’m sorry.

Most aspects of Genesis can be turned on and off using filters and actions, however, so perhaps a better way forward would be for you to take the time to figure out how to do that – ie, turn off the display of post-meta sections – then come to us for advice on detecting a given scenario, such as if the current request is for an events-related archive.

Genesis is certainly a popular theme framework – and we do plan to produce resources aimed at guiding people through integration – but even so, it is just one of quite a number of theme frameworks that might be described as popular and we can’t realistically offer expert advice for them all. Added to which we have a lot of people to support and there is naturally a limit to the extent of support on offer.

All in all, I’m sorry we haven’t met your expectations – we’d definitely be happy to offer you a refund so you can perhaps invest in a different plugin (or even simply as a gesture of good will). If you want to take us up on that please do email us at pro (at) tri (dot) be and include a link to this thread.

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The topic ‘Default Page Template is broken with Genesis themes’ is closed to new replies.