Date search

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Date search

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Robert
    Participant

Hello, Nico.

I noticed a request from another user yesterday to restrict searches to a single date (Event Search Bar date function). I believe they were in Photo View. I’m looking for a similar capability. I have 75 events currently entered into my calendar, with several hundred more to come. When users use the Map View, every event is on the map, rendering it impossible to find the events that are scheduled today on the Map View.

If the snippet you come up with to alter the search bar functionality could allow the same single date view in the Map, I’d be interested in getting it as well. I haven’t had much response from developers in trying to have them build a date range function for searching in Pro.

Thank you for your help and your efforts on behalf of all of us.
    Regards,
    Robert

Andras
    Keymaster

Hey Robert,

Thanks for going Pro and welcome to the forums!  Nico is busy with other things at the moment so I will be helping you out with this. I hope that’s ok. 🙂

Could you point me to that thread / snippet which you are referring to? I might be able to tweak that for you.

Thanks and cheers,
    Andras

Robert
    Participant

Good evening, Andras.

Having you help is most certainly OK. I was referring to this thread:

https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/event-search-bar-date-function/

Please let me know if there is any other info I can provide. As you can see, there was some discussion about restricting the date range in the Photo View. I need to do the same, but in Map View, so every future event doesn’t appear on the map at the same time.

Thanks for your help,
    Robert

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Robert,

Thanks for sending me that.

I can give this a try but I have some clarification questions for this:

When someone goes to the map view, you immediately want to filter it to the current day?

Or first they should see everything and when they choose to filter to a specific date, then the results should be only from that date? (This was the case in the other thread.)

You only want this in the map view?

Thanks,

Andras

Robert
    Participant

Hello, Andras.

I think filtering the map to display the current day would be a good idea. That way, anytime someone clicks on the map they get a map of everything happening today, which is what they’ll usually be looking for. It would be good for them to be able to select a different date if they choose.

Short term, just the map would be fine.

Longer term, I think it would a great feature to add a date range (start date/end date) to the search bar and filter bar.

Thanks for your help, and let me know if there’s anything else I can do to facilitate.

Robert

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Robert,

I haven’t been able to limit it to only the map view so far. Here is the snippet that you need to paste into the functions.php file of your theme:

https://gist.github.com/andrasguseo/552c25143f0856341166acc4c72c5436

Please let me know if this does the trick for you.

Cheers,
    Andras

Robert
    Participant

Thank you, Andras.

I’m using Twenty-Sixteen with no child theme at the moment. Would I just edit the functions.php in the parent theme?

Thank you,
    Robert

Andras
    Keymaster

Hi Robert,

Usually I would recommend you to use a child theme, because if you use the parent theme, then your modifications will be lost after a theme update.

However, we have discovered a bug with twentysixteen, where the datepicker goes haywire with the twentysixteen child theme and becomes unusable. This will be fixed eventually, but cannot commit to any date at the moment.

If you want to go totally safe, then try to look for another basic theme, where you can create a child theme and works well. Twentyfourteen works, I tested that.

So to sum it up:

• You can paste it into twentysixteen functions.php, but it will be lost with theme update
    • twentysixteen child theme has a glitch 🙁
    • twentyfourteen child theme works

More details on child themes are here:
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

Is this helpful?

Cheers,
    Andras

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Date search’ is closed to new replies.